39weeks and keep having a contracion evry hour. how do i know if its real or fake?

like i know its still early, but i keep getin them every hour on the hour, wit a really sore lower back, it hurts my back more than anything else. my water hasn broke and i dnt think i lost my mp yet. how do i know if this is the start of the real thing or its just fakes ones for now?

otoole

Asked by otoole at 2:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If it's real they will get closer together and stronger. If it's fake they will go away. Also if they change speed depending on the activety (speed up with walking, slow down with rest, etc.) they are fake. If it's real nothing you do will change it.

I would recommend going to bed and getting some rest. If it's the real thing it'll be waking you up soon.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• All contractions are "real"...they just dont add up to anything until you're in labor. The "false" ones are your uterus practicing for labor. Anyway...one an hour isnt going to get you admitted to the hosptial unless you have some over zealous doc who want to get you in there & start putting some pitocin in you to speed stuff up. I'd wait until you had an established pattern where they were at least 15 minutes apart for a few hours before I called the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• PP is right. LOL.

Technically they are all real. It's whether or not it's real labor you have to be concerned with.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We understood! I hope you didn't think I was being rude...Hope you get to meet your LO soon.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• What I was told, given the number of times baby number two had me thinking it was the real thing, was that the contracitions that would be real labor contractions would be 2-3 minutes apart lasting a minute long and that my stomach would feel like my forehead.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• thanks ladies, il def go to bed now and hope for the best. have a good night :)
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i think u understand what i was trying to ask :) i mean real labor or false
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 2:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It does not really matter if you lose your mucus plug or not. And if you are having contractions only an hour a part it is probably not real. If they start getting closer together and stronger, then they are real. You should go to the ER if they become about 6 minutes apart for about an hour. That is what my doctor said.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 4:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i would say wait and see if they get closer together and stronger. my doc told me to go to the hospital when they're like 5 min apart. but every pregnancy is different. did ur water break?
    romomomof2

Answer by romomomof2 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2010