Are there any groups here on cafemom that deal with children and/or teens with any type of mental illness and/or chronic illness?

I have a 14 year old dd who has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and who also deals with psychosis. I've only been able to find online support for adults with these conditions. Would LOVE to find some other moms dealing with similar circumstances!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you haven't found any yet, you could always create your own. =) It's really easy.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• There is a "keyword search" box to look up a group, you could try different keywords to find that group, but good luck and hope you find what your looking for and if anything try "moms of teens"
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 7:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• another place that might help is http://www.starbrightworld.org. this is an online site for teens that are sick and they have some very helpful information and links to other sites. I would also talk with his doctor to see if there are any other moms that might be looking to connect with other moms. I know my DD developed a seizure disorder this summer and I talked to her doctor about meeting other moms. There are a couple in his office that would love to meet, so for me it was a wonderful place to start.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't have a child coping with these issues but I am a therapist. All I can say is give yourself some breathing room and realize those well intentioned people who tell you if only you didn't use medication, if you only were stricter, if only you did this or that....then things will be better. You can call your local mental health center and ask for the local chapter of NAMI and call to see if there are support groups you are eligible to join.  Of course I am a big believer in counseling.  For both you, your child, and your immediate family.  This isn't just something that your son is battling....it is something the entire family battles. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2010