Is 101.0 a fever for a 5 year old?

My son is breathing heavy and shivering in his sleep and I checked his tempertaure and its 101, what should I do, should I wake him up and take him to the emergency or can he still go to school in the morning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Health

• Call the dr asap. Yes it is a fever. When my 5 yr old had that temp at school they sent him home.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• In most cases children cannot attend school if they have had a fever in the last 24hrs. Your sone has a fever, You should give him tylenol or motrin as soon as possibly to bring the fever down, Unless he is having trouble breathing I wouldn't take him to a emergency room. I would just call the doc in the morning.
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 4:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• 101 isn't that high - don't take him to the emergency room. But he can't go to school tomorrow (today) - he'll probably be feeling too lousy to go.

Call your pediatrician when they open.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree you don't need the emergency room/ I would not send him to school tomorrow and i would give him tylenol or something like that to help break his fever.

Call the DR in the morning when they open and don't worry to much,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Tylenol or Motrin for the fever (101 isn't a very high temp). No need for the emergency room unless he's actually having issues breathing. Keep him home from school today and get the fever to break...if you're very worried, a call to your pedi should ease your worry =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2010