so my mom give me some 14k gold earings about 2 yrs ago and know.... adult content

i sold them me and my husband been having really bad money problems we about to lose our car and we live with my mother-in-law i hate living with my husband mother but at this point its really helping us..so my mom told me she bought them for $500 wich idk because i wasnt their when she bought them but she says their where $500..well i took them to a few pound shops and they only offer me $100 they said they buy gold by the weight.. but this other lady offer me $200 so i took them-i let my mom know that i was going to sell them she said it was ok if i sold them no more than $500..so at this point no one is going to buy me $500 earings the pound offer me $100-- well i told my mom that i sold them for $200 --OMG she got soooo upset at me she said i was soo stupid an idiot for selling them for $200 when she bought them for $500-she said that she shoudnt just not give me the earings and know she upset at me she wont talk to me -- and im upset too because she dosnt understand our situation that me and my husband are desperate for money and about to lose our only transportation--we have a 8 mnth baby-- we have shity jobs and we cannot find better ones-- idk what should i do--

the earings weight 12 grms and 14k--i got 200 for them.. did i do wrong selling them??

Genesis29

Asked by Genesis29 at 4:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Depending on where she bought them from, she has to remember $500 isn't really what they are worth. Most of the time gold is priced by weight then they add a precentage to make a profit.. Oh yeah plus tax, so really if you went to any honest place to sell them they would buy them by weight. Really the only other option would have been to sell them to a individual. If she is mad because she believed they where worh more, go online and find the value and show her.
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 4:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• yeah i try to explain that to her but nope it didnt work-- if she bought them for 500 she wanted them to give me 500 or more-- idk i guess i just have to wait untill she cools down right..it really hurts me when we fight because she lives in california and i livein arizona is not that far away about 4-5 hr drive but i only see her 3 times a year at most 4-5 times is just the money crap is hitting us hard and im guessing to alot of people too..
    Genesis29

Comment by Genesis29 (original poster) at 4:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Your mother gave them to you because she loved you. I am torn. It hurts her that she gave you something so valuable because she wanted you to have it. Now it is gone. I can't figure this out. I understand you needed the money. I do not know what the alternative would have been. What if you did not have them?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i know but i told her if it was ok for me to sell them i let her know-- she said it was ok as long as i get 500 or more..she mad because i sold them for less
    Genesis29

Comment by Genesis29 (original poster) at 4:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• she didnt really want you to sell them. She said 500 bc she knew that was ridiculous and no one would pay it. You hurt her feelings.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 4:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i know maybe i did hurt her feelings- but she is a straight up woman why if she didnt like the idea she told me it was ok she even suggest it to me a few months back-- if she would of told me no i woundnt sold them-- thats why i ask her first-- gosh this is a mess
    Genesis29

Comment by Genesis29 (original poster) at 5:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• When your mom bought the earrings, she paid for the gold and the manufacture of the earrings. If you had sold them just for the gold, you probably would have gotten $100 for them.

I'm sorry your mom is upset and it is clearly hurting you a lot. She gave you the earrings as a gift and once she gave them, they were yours to do with as you wanted. Hopefully she'll get over it - maybe she doesn't really understand how hard things are for your financially right now. I hope things get better for you soon!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Tell her you never get back what you paid for them, she should understand your need to do so.

Answer by older at 8:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• When selling gold you are lucky if you get back 1/3 of what they sold for. You almost got 1/2
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Pawn shop,not pound shop lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2010