What do you think about your child's looks?

When you look at other kids their age, do you think your child is the fairest one of all? I sincerely do about mine. I think mine are the smartest, cutest, most beautiful, kindest, most funny, etc. I see some parents sometimes dogging their kids and just not caring about them at all and its really sad! I tell my daughter all the time she's pretty and smart so that she will have self-confidence-something I never had as a child. I think kids that are well loved learn better in school and become more successful in life and a lot of it starts with what their parents think of them.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 6:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can't believe a parent would actually dog on their kid about their looks....I always thought every parent would believe they have the best kid out there. All 4 of my kids have their faults but they look perfect and I'm always complimenting them on their looks/clothes/ things that they do in life. They all range in ages 23 to 6 yrs old so there's a wide variety of things I get to compliment on
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 7:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My kids know that they are loved and that they are supported, but I do not go overboard with it. Self confidence is one thing, but there are kids out there who think they are the center of the universe because their parents have lead them to believe it. These kids do not do well in school because they do not understand that there are other people in the world and some of them might have better skills in some areas then they do.
    Just be careful that you are raising a child that has compassion and empathy, as well as self confidence.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I tell my son he is handsome all the time.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 6:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Like I am with just about everything in my life, I am completely realistic and pragmatic about it. I recognize the strengths and superlatives that my children have, and I also know what their weaknesses are. Do I think they are the most beautiful children in the world? To me, yes, they are the most appealing because I birthed them, but I don't believe that they are literally the best looking kids out there. Do I think they're smart and funny? Sure, but I don't delude myself into thinking they are THE smartest kids out there, because they're not. I wouldn't trade them for all the world, but I don't expect other people to see them the way I do.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• All three of mine were beautiful babies and now beautiful adults!

Answer by older at 7:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My son is absolutely the most adorable three year old little boy :D Haha. So there all you other moms who think your son is cutest..mwhahahah. Sorry..lol. Yes, I do think my son is very very cute. He's an adorable little blue eyed blond (he looks just like I did when I was his age, only he's a little less pudgy in the cheeks) and he's very sweet. He tells me I'm cute, and that he loves me, and all the stuff I tell him he is too. I think it's something we're hardwired to think so we don't just abandon our children at birth...like most kids will look like their father until they're at least a year old, to encourage daddy to stick around.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think my children are fine just the way they are. I wouldn't want to change thier personalities or looks in any way.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 2:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think my son is the cutest, lol. But most parents do don't they? I certainly don't think my son is the brightest crayon in the box! He is great with words, we have conversations all the time but when it comes to trying to teach him things...it is like trying to pound a nail in a rock! I think he will be a lot like me, we have to see something and actually do it to learn!!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• of course, i think as a parent you are programmed to see your children as the most beautiful, most handsome, most intelligent, etc. ive always felt that way about all 3 of my girls.

and i do tell them how beautiful, smart, pretty, etc, they are, however, you have to be careful with that. though it may seem like you're building self-confidence, if you go overboard, then it could turn into a need for perfection for them. they might feel they always have to look beautiful or they won't be.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes and no. Yes I believe my child is very handsome and smart. Yes I believe he has a good sense of humor. But I also keep it into perspective. I compliment him when it is appropriate but I am careful to not over do it. I hear parents all the time who tell their child they truly are better than every other child. At least that is the message sent. When that child goes to school and learns other wise: there are kids who actually are more attractive, are more athletic, and who seem to accel academically.....it is a shock. Their parents told them they were the ones who were the best. In reality most kids are average. And there is nothing wrong with that. In all my ten years professionally I have only met one true genius child who was off the charts. But boy were there a lot of parents who acted like their third grader was going to go off to college tomorrow....and only one who really could.  I think some parents, because

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2010