Are gender roles antiquated?

If so, why are they still prevalent?

If not, why does it matter so much what each gender does? Pretty much anyone can do what the other can do?

If learned early on in life, no one would care who did what.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• And I agree that all levels of respect are earned. I won't make DS hold doors for women who can open doors for themselves and I won't make DD serve her boyfriend drinks when he can pour his own. We also won't be making either of them show anymore respect to an older person who hasn't earned it (and I don't mean not helping the handicapped, that's different). Caring gestures and being kind are always good things. Expecting special treatment for no real reason doesn't fly with me.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No, they aren't antiquated. The roles of the genders are still important, but that's not to say that we should not learn how to help fill in the gaps when it is necessary.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I believe men and women are equal, but different. As you stated, there are different biological "abilities" - for one, men have more upper body strength and muscle mass than women. Why shouldn't they be the protectors? If my husband and I are out and someone starts hassling me, I expect him to step up. If gender roles weren't in place, there would be no reason for him to do that. If I can do exactly the same thing he can, then I should be able to handle it myself.
    I don't WANT to have to deal with the same things men deal with. I want to be taken care of, to have doors opened for me, for my husband to walk on the outside of the sidewalk, to have men stand when I approach the table or enter a room, etc. I like being respected and hope the gender roles never completely go away! I am teaching my sons that same respect for women.
    (cont'd)

Answer by missanc at 8:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I am teaching my girls that they are as good as any man, they are just different. I am placing the same academic expectations on them, as well as physical health. But my son can run faster and do more pullups. Does that mean he's better? No, he's just made differently. We stress differences, but not in a negative way. The gender roles aren't all negative in my opinion.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• They're still here because people don't learn early on. I really don't see why it's so important for some people to raise kids so differently because of their gender. But they do and that attitude gets passed down in some way or another. I see our society as a very sexist one but I do what I can to keep that influence out of the home. I have 1 daughter and will soon have a son. There's no gender pressure on DD and there won't be any on DS. There's no benefit at all to telling them what they should or can't do, wear, feel, say, etc simply based on their genitals. So I won't be putting that unnecessary burden on them.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Pretty much!

Answer by older at 7:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Being taken care of and having people stand or do things for you sounds more like butt kissing than respect. Neither gender automatically deserves butt kissing. As for physical ability, that varies by person. It doesn't affect anything besides a person's physical ability though. And parts are just parts. My son may turn out stronger than my daughter and daughter will be able to give birth while my son won't. But what does that have to do with clothes (dress vs pants), colors (pink vs blue), respect (held doors vs served meals), money (who should work or get paid more), chores (dishes vs lawnmowing), or activities (dance vs baseball)??? Parts and physical ability don't have anything to do with any of that. So while men and women (and all people) have physical differences, that doesn't mean that anyone "should" do certain things or behave a certain way. Just being a good person to everyone should matter, not gender.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Why are they important, Nanny?

Dads can do exactly the same things Moms can and vice versa. Other than the obvious biological "abilities" we're physically equipped with.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• good manners is fine. Treating women politely is fine, but expected (from strangers) would be border-line naive and presumptuious.

don't get me wrong, I agree with, I just don't expect strange men to be nice to me (a stranger to them) just because I'm female or nice to look at. If they know me then ya, its a sign a respect and friendship.

As far as roles at home..hey, dad can babysit, cook and clean as well as me, and any woman can bring home the bacon. On that note women are just as capable of protecting the family as a guy. Some big strong man isn't going to stand up to a frail little female who has a black belt or knows how to handle a weapon.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I also think women need to learn that if they want respect from men in general, they need to give it, as well. Hold the door open for the guys once in awhile, too
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2010