Birth control for teens?

Do you think that it would be better, more effective, and create less teen pregnancies if teens that were sexual active and considering going on birth control, got an IUD, like mirena?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, any birth control would be wise.

Answer by older at 8:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My understanding was that IUD's were contra-indicated prior to a first pregnancy.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think if you had them watch 16 and pregnant or teen mom that would be prevention enough. My daughter is 14 and she is opposed to teen pregnancy. I must have done something right.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 8:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I do agree with birth control but I am totally against Mirena. I had one and got and bled for months, my hair started falling out, and then I got an infection in my uterus. My friend also had one and went to the doctor to have it checked and found out she was two months pregnant. I would consider something else but I think it is a really good idea. I got pregnant at 17 and I had asked my mother to get me birth control and she had said no, I'm sure now she wishes she had of got it for me. Also where I love most doctors will not prescribe the Mirena unless you have already had a child or have irregular heavy periods. I had the nouva ring for two years and it worked great but then I some how ended up getting pregnant while on it recently. Good luck tho!!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 8:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Birth Control for Teens - The Pill or a Condom. They do not recommend anything else because most other methods aren't as effective unless you have already had a child.

How to keep your teen daughter on the pill - she takes it in the morning in front of you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Of course, putting your daughter on the pill won't stop her from getting AIDS or some other fun little bug.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• mollgirl, wait a couple years before you start bragging lol. Most teens are in the mind frame that "nothing bad will ever happen to me, just other people" this is one reason for high teen pregnancy rates (though there are many) In my state teenage girls can get on the pill without permission from a parent when they are 16, though I am sure this varies from state to state..
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• the problem is some birth controls can cause infertility and death(if they become pregnant) and also can cause many health issues
    the pill is super great for teens especially if you dont want them to end up like me,16 and pregnant.(sounds so bad to say)
    MaybeMommy1994

Answer by MaybeMommy1994 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well I don't think an iud is the answer but some form of good birth control is a great idea.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I understand about the pill and what not but so many teens dont take their pill! of course you would want your child to either not have sex or use a condom to protect against stds but its not like your in the room making sure they have one on!
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010