rewards for kids

I am trying to reward my kids when they do something good. I have tried the punishing when they do something wrong and that isn't working. Any suggestions for rewards that don't cost anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sticker charts always worked for us. And at the end of the week a small prize can be given. Whether its a couple dollars or theyre fav candy bar. Be creative
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Focus on what they love to do and go from there.

Answer by older at 8:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We did marbles. I got each child a jar that they decorated and then they would get a marble everytime they did something good. If they did something bad we would take a marble away. another thing that helps with this is letting them put the marbles in the jar and also having them take them out, if they are bad. You could do something at the end of the week, like make their favorite dinner or maybe they get some one on one time with you. Even a small toy or a couple dollars could work. If the jars aren't to big you could also do something once the jars are full or after the child gets "X" amount of marbles.

Make it interesting and fun for them. I have always found that positive reinforcement has worked so much better for us.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Compliments don't cost a dime! And when you catch a child being good and make a verbal note to them....darned if that other child next to them try to get noticed and a compliment too. I am not a fan of reward charts and reward programs. I am a fan of a life long pattern of recognizing when someone is doing something that is really nice, good, special, or worthy of being noted. Even if it is something as simple as catching them clean up their toys. Compliment it. Not every two seconds but several times a day. Every once in a while if you are out, and you happen to catch them in a good moment, treat them to an ice creme cone, a pack of sugar free gum, a small item of their choice from the dollar store. It is about in that moment. It is about noticing they have not argued this morning and telling them to grab their coats....your going to the library to pick out DVD's for popcorn night b/c they were so great.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think positive reinforcement works wonders. If my little girl has been especially good or helps out I like to let her do something we wouldn't normally do. For ex. I'll get out those messy water colors, or play doh that stays hidden in the closet. Let them know, since you were so good today, or picked up your room, now we can play with this.
    Winter1derland

Answer by Winter1derland at 9:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• we have a chart at our house with the cards green yellow and red, if your good and at dinner time you have a green card you get to stay up 1 hour later, if its a yellow you get to clean the table and play an extra 30, if its red, you go to bed at bed time no exceptions! It works for us since we have a very independent daughter who likes to speak her mind often!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 10:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010