My first Ultrasound - Any tips?

Okay ladies...being a first time pregger I have no idea what to expect. I have my first ultrasound on December 29th. Any tips? Some people have told me to drink lots of water....and that's all I got :) Oh and I am 17 weeks now....I will be 20 weeks when they do the Ultrasound

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 8:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ask lots and lots of questions......

Answer by older at 8:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't drink lots of water personally, sometimes they take a while, and either way if its on the outside or a vaginal one I would imagine having a full bladder would be extremely uncomfortable. There really isn't anything to it or anything you really have to prepare for that I know of. I have had several and it's always been easy and exciting to get to see the baby! Congratulations on getting to see your little one for the first time! Good Luck!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• That's really the only advice I could give as well is to have a full bladder when you go in. Other than that, just relax and enjoy your first look at your tiny baby =) Congrats
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I wouldnt drink water unless your doctor tells you too. I have had ultrasounds with and without drinking water and I assure you if they need you to drink water they will let you know. Also how far along are you, because that can also dtermine wether they do a regular ultrasound or and internal ultrasound.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 8:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Also, the ultrasound tech will often go through and point out all the body parts and they usually give you pictures to take home! and then the doctor will let you know afterwards if everything is fine.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 8:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Wear pants with an elastic waist band. The first time, I wore jeans and had to unzip the fly and try to roll down the waist. The next 2 times, I wore yoga pants and just rolled down the waist before I got on the table. Not a big tip, but it might make you more comfortable.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Your doctors office should have told you if they wanted you with a full bladder or not. I thought it was standard practice to drink a lot of water before your US, but from reading the other posts, I guess it's not. Just be ready to be surprised and amazed! It is a wonderful first time experience! Enjoy
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 8:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I drank a little bit of mountain dew just to kind of get her moving a lil bit and i agree with a previous poster wear comfortable pants you can roll down instead of having to unzip and all that stuff.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i drank sweet tea :) i was sooo eady to see my baby, all his parts and finding out he was a he lol!!!! I think u/s are fun i love seeing the baby!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 9:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2010