Do you ever feel...

isolated from other real-life moms (and dads)?

I do cause I have Autistic kids and the parents can't relate to my issues and some flat our don't wanna be around my boys.

Yes they do act odd sometimes, and fortunately they don't always catch the negativity thrown their way from peers, but it still hurts me and makes me feel a bit lonely too. Partly why I come here for interaction.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I feel your pain,girl. I have the same problem. I too have an autistic son. I avoid most people because when they see my son,they get the "deer in the headlights" look. They're afraid to talk to him and I've had parents shuffle their kids away from mine like he was diseased or violent.
    He has his school buddies who also have disabilities,but mostly he's just with family.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Hey, you can PM in me anytime. I also have an autistic son. He's 16 and AMAZING. I think it's a blessing that they don't always catch the negative stuff from kids. It's a great natural coping skill!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Mom, in your isolation please feel special while you are it.

Answer by older at 8:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• That is very sad. I think you might want to try and find some support groups in your area. I have a friend whose son is autistic and while my kids and her other friend's kids don't have a problem with him, they have had some hard times. Once she met other moms with Autistic kids and her son found friends like him he is much happier. I know it is hard, although I would think there are people in your area that have children like yours.

Good Luck with everything!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just as they have those twins conventions, Im sure they have ones for autism too. That way you can meet familys and their kids in your area and make new friends. IF they dont have one then maybe you can start one! GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree with cornflake girl. Sounds like talking to other parents going through the same thing would be good for you. Hang in there. You are doing great!!!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I feel isolated from other parents all the time but can't even say it's because of my kids...it's me. I just have a hard time relating to other people in real life. I find relationships to be more drama than they're worth 99% of the time. I know, it's a completely misanthropic outlook, but it's true.
    As far as your situation goes, I agree with the other posters about trying to find a real-life support group or moms club. That would probably be good for both you and your children. And you always have cafemom ;) Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010