how do u deal with your ML when she makes comments about your kids?

So my ML says my Emily is to skinny and has low iron and i need to have her checked! Funny I think to myself shes goes to the doctor when she is supposed to and when needed. She went 4 her 2 yr check yesterday, She is 36 inches tall and 26 pounds. Her weight is now in the 50th%, since she was younger she has been in the 25th however always taller then average. I just get so tired of her thinking that cause my baby is tall and skinny there has to be something wrong with her.

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 8:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Man your problem is IDENTICAL to mine!! When my MIL always starts that crap I will simply say that her doctor feels she is right on track with her height and weight and if she is not worried then neither am I, because I trust her 100%
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I'd say:
    "Are you a Doctor? No? Then I'll let her doctor tell me what she needs, but thanks for your input. Duly noted."
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Grandparents mean well but a lot of times they can be annoying, just disregard her comments, you know she is healthy and ok. In my culture having a fat kid means to a lot they are healthy which is a fallacy!

Answer by older at 8:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would remind her that each child is different, and grows at their own rate. I would also say something like "funny, but the DOCTOR says/thinks......". And then I'd change the subject.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would answer that she's in the 50th % and is deemed healthy by her doctor. Also, that it is much, MUCH better for children to be a little skinny than a little heavy.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Tell her to mind her own business. I said it once to my mil and she hasnt make a comment about anything since....to my face that is lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Mine used to tell me that my son was literally starving and she would stuff him full of food until he'd puke sometimes. I just ignore her and don't leave her alone with my son.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would ignore her. My MIL has always said thing about my kids or me, she has even said them to people like my mother and my family members. She probably means well and might now know that she is bothering you. If it becomes to much I would talk to your husband and ask him to say something. Or the next time she says something say "Well the last time she went to the doctors he said she is looking great and doing great." Maybe that will get to her.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My Daughter is the same, Has always been tiny and tall! She is 3y/o, 41 1/2 inches tall and 37 pounds. I don't have a great relationship with my MIL and we (my DD and I) do not see her but if we were on good terms, I would tell her the same as Steph319 " simply say that her doctor feels she is right on track with her height and weight and if she is not worried then neither am I, because I trust her 100%."
    Good Luck!
    lou.lou

Answer by lou.lou at 9:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• imagine that you are a duck, and her words just roll off your back like water!
    seriously, you know you are right and your daughter is fine. why cause waves?
    the dil/ mil relationship is hard. maybe if your dh actually showed her where your dd is on the growth chart, that could help.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2010