How will I be able to make a two hour driving trip every couple of weekends comfortable with an infant??

My boyfriend will be living two hours away for a year in order to finish up school. I am worried that the two hour trip will be hard to make in order to visit him with our newborn, when he is unable to come see us. How likely is it that we will make the trip without any problems? Any tips on what to do to ease the long trip for our baby or do you think I will not have any problems? I plan on making these trips until our baby is about 1.5 years old. What problems will I encounter as my baby gets older?

Kinina16

Asked by Kinina16 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Infants sleep alot for the first couple of months anyway so as ong as you feed the baby before you begin on your tripthe baby should sleep the entire trip. I now 2 hours seems like a long trip with an infant but it is actully a short nap for them. Just make sure you are well hydrated and comfortable during the trip. For the first year of a baby's life it all about naps and they will sleep for t least 2 hours at a time if not longer.
    momof3blue1pink

Answer by momof3blue1pink at 11:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• As an infant, things should be just fine. Make sure the baby is well fed with a clean, dry diaper and just overall comfortable. Chances are, it'll fall asleep along the way; car rides have been suggested for years as a method of soothing a fussy baby. As the baby gets older follow the same principals, but give it access to toys so it doesn't get bored. My sister makes monthly trips down to visit us (which is a 6hr trip) with her 1yr old son and she just had her second and I'm unaware of any major problems she's had.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 11:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My son has hated his carseat every since he was four months old. He is almost a year and it has not gotten any better. My best advice is (aside from feeding/changing/gas) if nothing seems to be wrong with them aside from boredom or hating being tied down in a carseat, just focus on your driving. Have lots of toys available, some tunes that the baby is receptive to, ect.. Otherwise, if baby is fussy, tune out the baby. Your safety and your baby's depends on it!
    unga

Answer by unga at 11:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I agree with the baby tunes. My daughter always loved (and still does) nurery rhymes in the car. Also, make sure you dress your baby COMFORTABLE. Not all cutesy....soft and cozy is the best plan for clothes on a long trip. Most babies just sleep in cars (you should be fine). Good luck!
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 12:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Be aware of possible carsickness though, as you get closer to that 1.5 year mark--not fun!!! Check into Dramamine and see how young it can be given safely. My son got carsick the first time at about that age, and again last month on car trips. Both were longer than 2 hours though, but just be aware. Not fun to clean up! :-/
    happiestmama

Answer by happiestmama at 2:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I plan my long trips EARLY in the morning, when she is still in her sleepy time. I will usually leave first thing in the morning- after her breakfast. She usually lulls right to sleep, occasionally I have to feed her an hour into the trip so I plan for the extra 1/2 hour if I have a time constraint.
    mnky

Answer by mnky at 2:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2008