Amish Ham

What's the difference between regular ham and Amish ham? DH wants to make it for Christmas, we just got a bigger house and everyone's coming to our place for Christmas Eve. Is there a certain way you cook it? I googled it and it just brings up recipes for already cut up ham... :\ Also I know most of you won't have an answer for this because 99% of you don't live near me, I'm sure, but I don't know where to buy it in the St. Louis area.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Amish ham (at least in our area) is salt-cured, then smoked. Just check the label and see if it's salt or smoke-cured; if it's salt, google the method of preparing it (you have to soak it in water before cooking). If it's smoke cured, any ham recipe will do!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have an Amish cookbook. There is only one recipe in it for ham. For a 5# boneless ham, make a sauce out of 16 oz. jellied cranberry sauce, 1/2c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. orange juice, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, & 1/4 tsp. allspice. Cut crisscross cuts on top of ham & place in crock pot w/1/2 c. water & cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 8 1/2 hours. Cover with half of sauce before ham is done. Slice and drizzle w/rest of sauce on serving tray.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thanks, NannyB.!! ;) I'll show this to my hubs. He's in charge of cooking for Christmas since it was my turn for Thanksgiving. I get to sit back and relax this year... AHHHH. Thanksgiving took a lot out of me - I'm 7, well 6 at the Thanksgiving time, months pregnant and I get winded very easily. :P
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Never heard of it!!! We have Hudarites ( spelling?) and Menninites here...and they make awesome hams and stuff but dont't know what Amish ham is. Sorry.
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010