How to deal with Santa not bringing a wanted gift?

The only thing my daughter is asking from Santa is the Dippin Dots frozen dot maker. It's not age appropriate for her (she's only 3) and I read all the reviews on it and everyone has hated it, it apparently leaks and doesn't make dippin dots, just poorly flavored ice. I can't afford to get her something that doesn't work, and don't really have room for it to just be sitting around, but it's the first year she's told Santa what she wants and is excited for Santa. How do you explain it when Santa doesn't give the gifts they asked for?

Winter1derland

Asked by Winter1derland at 9:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would say..."i don't think the elves make stuff like that sweety"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Tell her that Santa sent you a letter saying that she is too young for this toy and to pick out something else.

Answer by older at 9:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Santa said maybe next year perhaps?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Tell her the elfs won't make it because it was not working good.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My son has asked for toys or food that was not age appropriate. He is four. I tell him that their are clear rules that adults (and Santa) have to follow. The rules on that game (toy, candy, ect...) is eight and up or what ever the age is and up. He doesn't argue but he does check for the age now on packages. Rules are rules and even Santa has to follow them. She will get over it. The surprise of Christmas and all that activity will more than likely make her forget her grief at not getting the item of her current dreams. The thing is...you are are a good parent for not getting it for her. You know that. And the gift of wanting, desire, and even disappointment are good life long lessons. That is a true gift. Imagine how hard it would be for her to never experience disappointment until she was an adult. You are developing her coping skills now.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• you could always get it..let her see thats its junk..and take it back to the store and get your money back..tell the store that it doesnt work.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Explain to her that Santa doesn't always fulfill the list that it's just a want list and she needs to come up with something else for her list. She's only 3 and so she shouldn't be really disappointed try talking her into something else and tell her Santa can't make that wish come true right now. GL
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have come to find , even if they dont get what they asked for, by the time its done and over with they are more then happy to get what they got! My son wanted a bike for one year I did not get it. He never said a word about it during or after opeing his gifts. I was worried , it turned out alright .
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We have always just told our kids that you cannot get everything you ask for. If it's something inappropriate, we tell them that too.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i have always had my kids make a list of 10 things santa can choose from (not that they are getting all 10) and that way santa can choose what he feels is just the right gift for every child......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2010