have not been online but was wondering what people thought off this

Obama asks McCain for help leading country

CHICAGO -- Barack Obama has accepted John McCain's concession and has asked his Republican rival for help in leading the country.

Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said McCain called Obama at 11 p.m. EST, moments after The Associated Press and television networks declared the Illinois senator the next president.

Gibbs said Obama thanked McCain for his graciousness and said he had waged a tough race. He also said the Arizona senator was consistently someone who has showed class and honor during this campaign as he has during his entire life in public service.

Gibbs quoted Obama as saying, “I need your help, you're a leader on so many important issues.”

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• WHy is he asking mccain for help? I though the was supposed to be the change we needed ? I thought he said mccain was the wrong person for this then why did he ask mccain for help . I read this and thought gret what did he think he was gonna have to do ?

and here is the site http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=223739
    Anonymous

• you're right! how wrong of obama to try and be polite and extend courtesy to mccain!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i wasnt being mean .. ok i just think obama doesnt know what he is doing .. and since when do they ask for help from the other runners? it was an honest nice question no need to be rude
    Anonymous

• Obama never said he could do anything by himself. He has always said that change will require work and effort from everyone. I think Obama and McCain have both handled things admirably since the election was called.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• And it is appropriate to ask McCain for his support and help, since McCain has always had a knack for reaching across party lines and bringing people together. Who better to help than McCain? I think Obama would be foolish to not enlist McCain's help.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• you know what, I think it is quite nice to see a Democrat ask a Republican to help with this country! True bi-partisanship at it's best if you ask me! Really, what this country needs is both sides working together instead of against each other.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 7:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Shame on Obama, doesn't he know Republican's don't believe in decency. McCain was suppose to be the one to reach across the table but I guess his supporters don't believe the same.
    Anonymous

• it's also possible he was referring to help from mccain when he returns to his senate seat.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i just think obama doesnt know what he is doing .. and since when do they ask for help from the other runners?

oh, for crying out loud . . . I guess Lincoln was inept too, eh?

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• thanks autodidact!
    bill clinton and bush sr do a lot of good work together, too.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2008