what would you do ?

I am babysitting a little boy today ( I watch him 2-3 times a week ) .. I watch him until almost 9pm ... and last night I knew he didnt really feel good and texted his mom and asked if I could give him some kids medicine .... she brought him back this morning and he was very fussy she said it was because she doesnt think he feels good and his eyes were puffy....

Well he has been here for a few hours ( she is shopping) and I am still suppose to have him until almost 9 tonight..... but he has thrown up twice and she still wont come get him ! .... When I called to tell her, her words were... " oooh, it is ok though, just make him take a nap"

I have 2 little kids too and I couldnt imagine not taking care of them when they were sick....

would you demand that she come get him.. plus I also have to watch 2 more kids later this afternoon .... and I would prefer not to add to the chance of all of them getting sick !

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 9:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• You need a sick policy.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would tell her point blank that she needs to come and get him. Even if she's not enough of a mother to want to be with him when he's obviously sick, she does have the responsibility of keeping out of a childcare environment. If it were any school or daycare center, he would not be allowed to say for risk of spreading it to the other kids, and your home daycare environment shouldn't be any different. I would call her and tell her she needs to come and get him right now.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes I would demand she come get him. They wouldn't let him in a daycare sick so why should you have to deal with a sick baby or spread his germs to others?

Answer by admckenzie at 9:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• She needs to come get him if he is throwing up. It's not fair to you or any of the other children in your care. Anyone with common sense would come and get their child immediately, especially since she is shopping, not working.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• As vicesix said, call her and tell her, "You need to come get him immediately". She shouldn't have even brought him over.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• In daycares kids arent aallowed there if their sick. Maybe you should do the same.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• She actually does have to go into work later today for a bit... BUT she calls off all the time for othe things ( if she wants to take a nap, or shopping, etc - it is her parents buisness ) .... so I know that if she wanted to she could be called off....
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• call and demand she come get him .......call her job and tell her parents that the kid is sick.....sometimes you have to make people face up to reality
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You should definately demand that she retrieve her child. After all, if there is something seriously wrong w/ the kiddo, and heaven forbid something happens while he is in your care, YOU are responsible.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would talk to her when she come to drop him off & very nicely but firmly say please don't bring him if sick.. if that doesn't work tell her its not working out & you can no longer watch him..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2010