Question about croup

My daughter has never been sick before and she will be 2 in exactly a week..Well for about 2 weeks she had been coughing at morning and at night only and other then that was just herself (we thought the cough was from he allergies) Well last night she woke up at 10pm and was coughing this horrible barky cough and wheezing and breathing weird..she was pretty hot and I was really worried so I took her to the ER..well turned out she has croup and she also had a 103.6 fever..Shes never had a cold or fever so I was freaking out a bit and they ended up putting her through a bunch of stuff to get her better (xray to double check, steroid shot to open her lungs, and breathing treatment)...But im wondering how had she been coughing for almost two weeks and it took that long for this to show it was croup? Also when will it be ok to let her be around other children I dont know how long croup lasts..they gave her antibiotics also

Italiancouture7

Asked by Italiancouture7 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Typically 24 hours on antibiotic get past the contagious period, so it would be safe for others to be around her tomorrow - but if you're not comfortable with it, wait a couple more days. Unless it's a viral croup, she should be mostly better by the time the antibiotics are gone (if it's a viral croup, antibiotics won't touch it, and it could be a couple of weeks to get it out of her system). As for the time - it could have been her allergies or even a common cold causing her to cough - and then it just turned into croup - happens all the time with all that upper resperitory junk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Our son gets the croup cough starting at 3 months old. For him, it is either when his seasonal allergies get really bad, or whenever he catches a virus or cold. The drs. say it is viral induced asthma, and the croup we found out is actually wheezing and asthma. Oxygen levels can drop a lot faster than the child shows, so be careful.

We have had him on singulair for the allergies, around age 4 or 5 which did make a difference. We also had him on some inhalers as needed, and now most recently we started allergy shots. Since the allergy shots he rarely has the croupy cough, or the congestion he had in relation to seasonal allergies. I highly recommend the allergy shots, our son started at age 7 and he is much less reactive now.

Childrens liquid Benedryl and sitting in a steamed up bathroom is the best remedy for the croupy cough, in our experience. Also sleeping propped up in more of an upright sitting position with pillows.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:40 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Sitting in a bathroom with the shower running on hot is the BEST way to help croup.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Also, sitting outside in cold weather helps open the airways. Bundle her up and sit outside for about 15 minutes. Elevate her head when she sleeps, put on a vaporizer to help her breath and sleep. Ask the doctor about when she will no longer be contagious. From my understanding, croup isn't contagious and they will outgrow it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have never dealt with it, but I hear that hot shower and humidity helps.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Croup it self is not the illness-- she has an upper airway viral infection for some reason that viral infection is causing swelling in the vocal cords that swelling is what is causing the barking cough
    one thing you can do to help her if she is "barking" is take her into the cold air..so put her coat on and stand outside for a few minutes the cold air will stop the swelling and the bark
    a COOLmist humidifier in her room is a great idea too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• oh I almost forgot- she can be around others when she has no fever for 24 hours WITHOUT the use of an antipyretic like tylenol (yes even if she's still barking)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• DO NOT use HEAT humidity-that will INCREASE the swelling in her vocal cords and land you in ICU or the morgue
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• hope she feels better soon
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2010