My 2 1/2 year old steals toys from my 6 month old. What do I do?!?!?

MommysAngels810

Asked by MommysAngels810 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Toddler Property Rules
    •If I like it, it's mine.
    •If it's in my hand, it's mine.
    •If I can take it from you, it's mine.
    •If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
    •If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
    •If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
    •If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
    •If I think it's mine, it's mine.
    THIS TOO SHALL PASS!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My 2 year old has been taking things from my 5 month old too. My 5 month old doesn't care, but I still make him (2 yo) give it back and tell him "it's Becca's turn" A minute later I will tell him "now it's your turn, can you get a different toy for Becca" and I let him exchange the toys. He's learning.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• In addition to teaching her to share (make the toddler give the toy back to the baby and wait her turn), you can also teach redirection. When she wants a toy that baby brother is playing with, have her find another one that he can play with and trade. My older one still tries to do this, even though his baby sister is 19 months old and it doesn't work so well now, lol. But on the plus side, he's not just taking toys from her, and he doesn't usually throw too much of a fit any more about having to wait his turn. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• split them up to play

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just keep correcting them. time out works too. But remember that there is most likely a bit of jealousy and just the sheer fact that thats what 2yos do
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Ah, welcome to toddler years. This is normal. 2-3 yr old are all about "Me". Just gently ake the toy away from your 2½ yr old and give it back to your 6 mos. old. While doing this your firmly (with out yelling) tell your 2½ year old "No, don't take your brother's (sister's) toy."
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Totally normal that is not stealing but borrowing, a good time to teach them to share.

Answer by older at 10:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree he/she's learning. It's not stealing. A child that young has no concept of what stealing is. Just be patient and teach him/her as in missanc's suggestion.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• aw thats kids for you! You have to teach your 2 year old that its not nice to take things away no matter if it does belong to them!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 10:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Don't wait until "It passes". Your child needs to learn bounderies, sharing, and being respectful early on, so that you're not fighting them when they're older. When your two year old takes toys from the baby you take the toy back and say "John, Lucy is playing with that toy." He won't like it, but it's important for him to know that he cannot just rip toys out of people's hands. Then when he does it again you warn him "If you take the toy from Lucy again you'll get a time out. We do not steal toys from each other." And then when he does it again he gets a time out. My son is two and is going through this right now as well. However, through being consistant and following through he is learning that he cannot take toys from his one year old sister. He doesn't like when she has a toy that he wants, but allowing him to just grab and play isn't teaching him anything good.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010