Grocery shopping today...

I always liked going shopping, I still do, even for groceries. The only thing is, I can't get myself or my grocery list organized. I only shop for the upcoming week. I never do extra shopping. I make my menu and make my list based on that. I try to get everything in order. For example, I get everything pasta while I'm on the pasta aisle, can foods, etc. Well, I always find myself running back to another aisle or back to the meat dept. because I forgot something.

Hubby just asked me, "Can we try not to make circles around Walmart today?". But when I stand there on one aisle and double check my list he gets frustrated.

How can I organize my shopping list better?

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Make your list up with everything on one aisle together, everything on another aisle together and so on.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• dont take him with you..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• yes i have also had a problem with grocery list, 1 if you know whats on each isle you can put it in isle orders, or you can also seperate say diary to a list of its own, and so on with the rest, thats what i do frozen list, canned list, boxed list,diary, and frozen, it helped by breaking it down!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Lol at anon's answer! I also wanted to say I think you're more organized than I am, malking weekly menus and whatnot!

As for your actual question, I do this too, but I don't shop at Wal-Mart so it's probably less annoying (smaller store). Anyway, the thing is, some stuff you kind of forget that it goes with other stuff - like peanut butter. Which aisle is the peanut butter on? It's not like there's a peanut butter aisle lol. So what you need to do is learn where everything is first - I mean besides the obvious stuff, like canned veggies being on the canned veggies aisle. Every time you go to the store, write down what aisle you got everything on, and keep track of it til you have a list of where most of the stuff you buy is located in the store. Then use that information when you make your shopping list, and organize everything by aisle. Do you think this would help or is it just way too much work? Maybe hubby can do it lol
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• That's the way I shop and it works just fine. If hubby gets irritated when you go back to get forgotten items than agree to not do that anymore. Than send him to the store on the way home from work to pick up the forgotten item that is needed for dinner ;-)
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 10:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• lol, we spend every waking moment together. We're always going everywhere together. We like it that way, so going without him isn't an option.

As far as having him pick up something after work, we are both stay at home parents, so that wouldn't work either. lol

Thanks for all of the help, Ladies. :)
    AtHomeMommy-3

Comment by AtHomeMommy-3 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• places like stop and shop and some other big stores lets you create a shopping list online and its organized by produce ,dairy and ect.
    then you just print it and take it to the store with you .
    ooksanab25

Answer by ooksanab25 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If you know your store well enough you should be able to list everything in each isle that you need to get. For Example, make a list of everything in the pasta isle you need. Then make a seperate list of everything in the dairy case that you need. If you need to, go without your husband. It might be that his added frustration and stress is causing you to lose track of what you're getting. Just try to segregate each isle on your list into seperate groups, so that you know what isle you're going to next and what you're getting. Make sure to mark things off as you go. If you need to add the quanity beside the item, so you're not forgetting to grab how many you need.

I always start from the back of the grocery and weave through the isles, hitting the outside dairy/meat case as I come upon what I need. That helps me get everything, as I'm searching each isle individually.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• think about your meats and cheeses first write all things meat and cheese including lunch meats and pepperonis,then move to dairy write everything dairy,then move to laundry detergent write all things for laundry and cleaning,then move on to your papers like foil,plastic wrap,sandwhich bags, paperplates,papertowels,toilet paper,then move on to pastas get all ur pastas and suaces and so forth but most important immediatly check off as you load it in your basket so you don't forget it's much quicker more importantly have all coupons ur using for the day separated there is nothing worse than an unorganized coupon person for a cashier at walmart cuz of how busy it is..have them in hand and check expire dates before going shopping know what your buying and using.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• write your meals on paper. then do your meat, starch and veggies.
    carry a pen and check them off. that way if you do have a stay you
    can catch it before you go to the next thing.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2010