My 9mo son swallowed a piece of gravel, should I be concerned?

He got it in his mouth and caught in the back of his throat before I could get to him, and when I tried to sweep it out I accidentally pushed it further down, so I know it was small and mostly rounded. He didn't seem to have any trouble swallowing it! I'm a little concerned, though, that it might cause trouble in his GI tract.

htvtphoenix

Asked by htvtphoenix at 7:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dont worry about it. Just check his diaper the next few days to be sure he passes it :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Its no biggie. He will pass it in the poo. Make sure to give him some applesauce or some apple juice and it should pass no probelem. It's amazing what you find in a baby's diaper. We have found part of a candy wrapper and an occasional leaf from when we play outside. We watch him like a hawk but they can be so fast.

I also believe if it was round and no jagged edges he will pass it ok. One thing to be concerned about if the problem ever arises. Pennies, Kids cannot swallow pennies because it can be toxic to their system.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 7:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Don't worry, it will just come out the other end.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 8:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2008