Do your kids know where their food comes from? ...& how old are they?

I mean, besides "Wal-Mart" or "the grocery store" or "the fridge"...

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Ours do. They think it's funny to tell people that we had 'dead cow' for dinner. ::Quirk:: Yeah. I have weird kids.
    We have a garden every year so they understand the whole growing process.
    And we keep chickens so they know all about eggs. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 11:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• DS is 5 and knows that beef comes from cows, pork comes from pigs and venison comes from deer. He knows that vegtables and fruits can come from the ground or a tree or a vine. He couldn't tell you which one comes from which though, at least not for all of them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We have a garden, so yes.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, they are older, but I would say that each one of them knew by age 2-3. We've always been in the country and had gardens so it was easy to teach them or let them figure it out on their own.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, they all know that we slaughter a steer for our hamburger/roast/steak, they know that daddy hunts deer and we eat the deer meat after daddy cuts it up, they know that chickens are the drumsticks they love, same with pigs, turkeys, etc. My youngest is not even 4 and knows it and loves his meat. Last year we went and visited our steer while he was still alive, took pictures, petted him, etc, and every time we ate beef the kids would ask if we were eating part of [steer's name] lol. They also know that we eat what we plant in the garden, and that what we buy at the farmers market is grown and picked the same way, just from someone else's garden.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yep - they know where meat, dairy, eggs, fruits and veggies all come from. DH hunts and we eat the deer he butchers, so they have seen first hand what goes into meat. Both boys have been to farms and each have had the opportunity to collect eggs and milk a mammal (older boy got cow, younger boy got goat). We have a small vegetable garden every season, so they see what goes into that, too.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• A few years ago my dd had a hard boiled egg on her plate. she sat it off to the side and said, " I think I will let that chick live" I told her it was a little late for that lol!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• OP, I see what you're saying, and it does make sense for most people. I love animals. When I fully realized at the age of 9 where exactly meat was coming from, I wanted nothing to do with it. I haven't eaten meat since then, and I'm 34 now. I am not an animal rights activist; I just have a deep sense of love and compassion for them that I think I was born with (because my parents certainly didn't raise me that way!) So I have a hard time understanding how someone can look in animal's eyes, pet it, see it living and breathing, and then slaughter and eat it. I will just never be able to "get" that, if that makes any sense. That's why I found anon's statement disturbing.

Let me put it this way: I understand that not everyone feels the way I do, but I don't understand how and why they don't. It's a constant struggle for me.

Thank you for a thought-provoking question and the interesting points you made in your reply :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Mine are 2 1/2 and 3 (almost 4). The 2 1/2 year old knows about half of what he eats and where it comes from. My 3 year old knows all her foods and where they come from.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 1:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree with you. It's the absense of knowing where things come from that causes the most trouble. I love animals to death and my son will know where things come from as he gets older. ...when I told my little sister when many of the foods she eats comes from she was disgusted and is still a flexitarian. Most of my family is... (If you don't know what that means, its just that we strive to eat less meat that we originally did. We have days that we eat meat, which is only at one meal, and then have days where we don't eat meat at all)...they don't only do it for the animals but also because it is considered healthier by most doctors.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010