quitting your job and getting on welfare

while in the hosp for my own child the other day she was telling me that her 8yr old dd is has ODD,OCD,ADHD..so bad that she had to quit he job to stay home with her cause they put her out of school cause she was just to violent and uncontrollable..herr dd is in Child Psych Ward @ least once a mon..
She is a single mom..who is now on welfare/ssi to keep an eye on her child..she has 2 other kids also..While talkin to my sister bout what I saw an much this mom had to give up..my sister thinks this mom is an idiot cause she wouldn't give up her job for none of her kids..I disagree..tho my teen dd has ODD,ADHD I'm not a single mom..but if I had to I would def give up my job if it meant my childs well being...
What would u do?

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would first try to find a school that specializes in these disorders. It would take alot for me to quit my job and take away my child's source of income. But, yes, if it was something dire, I would definitely quit for my child.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think no one can honestly say what we would do unless faced with a certain situation.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i dont know what i would do, but i do know that if it came down to the well being of my child i sure would quit my job, but then again you have to do for the other kids aswell, thats a tough one!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 10:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thats hard to say, but I would really want to feed my child and put a roof over their heads. She would have gotten SSI even while working.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No eight year old has any of those things. You can not properly diagnose those illness' in a child that young.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• SaraP1989: You are a bloomin idiot if you actually believe what you wrote.
    I have 3 DD's - 2 of whom have epilepsy. One of them also has bipolar, major depression, severe anxiety and she is a cutter. She was Dx'd with epilepsy at age 2, the rest at age 4. I found her cutting herself at age 5. I have had to quit/take FMLA time for her A LOT due to her problems. From age 4 until 8 she would have as many as 75 seizures a day. Daycares refused to take her/keep her. Schools refused to keep her. I didn't have a choice - but if I did, I would STILL choose to be home with her. I don't understand how any mother wouldn't stay with their child to take care of them if they needed her with them. It's just not something I can wrap my head around. If my children need me - I am there! No matter what!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• That's a really hard call. Though I would do anything for my children, especially over anything else, I wouldn't want to sacrafice our financial income. I would probably go through a lot more steps like medication, therapy, and other modes of dealing with her disorders before quitting my job. Quitting my job would definately be a very last resort, because there are other ways out there to help them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree with salexander
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• QUIT my Job and that's exactly what I did for my 12 year old DD with bipolar disorder. I had worked in the medical field for 15 years and tried public school for her until she was in the fourth grade, I was called at work daily because my child was out of control. I quit my job and pulled her from public school to discover what her issues where at school. She was picked on daily from the other kids and her self esteem was degraded due to her behavior. HS her I have also discovered she has about a 15 minute attention span. No teacher can take that time away from the other kids to give her a break every 15 minutes. She was socially and academically behind by 2 or 3 years. HS has brought her a long ways.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010