• In the Spotlight:

why??

I work in administrative. Part of my job is to complete paperwork in order for me to do that I need paperwork from managers. Why is it that when I don't get something faxed or emailed and ask them to refax or reemail it do they spend more time telling you they did it rather than just saying ok I'll resend it. It is so irritating to ask for somehting and have them argue more about how they did it and they will go on and on about it. Just send the damn thing!! Any deal with this too? And if so, how do you respond when they do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• LOL, I feel ya. My last job I had to constantly tell people to re-fax something because it didn't come through or didn't come out legible. They would spend 5 min complaining about it and finally send it. I would always just say, "I need you to refax ____________ because it didn't come through. Yes, I know you sent it but it isn't here so re-send it please." Usually I would then hang up. Yeah, not the nicest thing but I have better things to do than sit on the phone while they complain.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just say "[Enter Boss's Name], I appriciate that you sent it the first time, but I need you to send it again. If you could do that it would be really helpful to getting this paperwork done." And if you have to interrupt them to say that, then interrupt them. Just cut them off and make what you need very clear and go about your business.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If they continue to argue just interrupt again and repeat what you said.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• funny thing is they are my equal not my bosses. I am the office manager and they manage other areas. but that is good advice I will try it next time. More than likely they will complain to my boss how I am rude. It never seems like their issues are addressed
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Everyone is like that. I used to do inside sales and it was the same thing.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Ugh I'm so sorry! It's like there are two extremes when it comes to faxes- those that will redo it right away if you ask, and those that think they already faxed it. Grrr! But it's always so pleasant to work with someone that is willing to refax something without spending an hour discussing it first =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Try sending them Outlook tasks. Learning to manage the managers is an incredibly important skill.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2010