I can't get over this Fear...

Since the week I found out I was pregnant, I've started worrying - actually its more like being terrified of some one taking my baby.. now, taking I mean, kidnapping him - I am not sure why I have that fear, maybe too many lifetime movies but, since he's been able to talk, he's had dreams and told me about someone driving him away in a green jeep, then he'll make a comment like "mommy, you lost me and I was missing you SO MUCH, please don't lose me" then he has woken up and cried," Mommy, where were you.. why weren't you there for me.. I needed you"this only makes my worse fears hightened.. although my fears don't consume my thoughts or I don't express them out loud, I can't help but to freak out a little more each time he says something like this.. Has this happened to anyone? Could he just be more of a worrying type of child. He just turned 3 if that matters...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh Momma! My heart goes out to both you and your little man!! I have had major fears of my children being kidnapped also! With my 1st it was pretty bad. Every where we went everyone would comment on how beautiful she was and it made me even more fearful of her being kidnapped. I refused to even shower while she took a nap in her crib! I would call my MIL over while I showered! #1. make your home as safe as possible. #2. talk to your Dr (and his) about both of your concerns. #3. talk about it....with your friends, family and DH. Sometimes talking helps! #4. fake it til you make it....tell your son (a lot!) "Oh sweety! I would NEVER EVER lose you!! I will ALWAYS be there to help you!!" The more you help HIM feel secure - the more YOU will feel secure!! Big warm hugs hunny & GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think that you need to talk to your doctor about your anxiety and his doctor about his anxiety. It must be really hard to function sometimes because fears like this can be paralyzing.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i really dont know but i wouldnt like that...hugs! I had one dream when i was pregnant with my son, my daughter in the tub drowning, i woke up crying and now there is a lock on the ouside of the bathroom door even though shes 5! She has crazy dreams about dogs and such!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 10:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I'd love to calm your fears, but honestly I certainly have shared this fear....I also get the ones where I'm forced to choose what child to save in a situation where I can only save one....Like you, I don't let it consume me either, but I do likely think about it a little more than I should. And you know, with your son, maybe he is just picking that all up from you....I know we might be talking mind reading a bit here, but its entirely possible....I think my oldest girl did that frequently when she was between 2 and 4 years old....she's 11 now.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think Fxmomto3 gave some good advice....Show him that thw windows are locked and the front and back door is locked....Does he know how to call for help? When someone grabs him or how to call the police.
    Mamato2angels

Answer by Mamato2angels at 11:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have a ridiculous fear of something happening to my children, I think most mothers do. Mine is almost to the point of obsession because i'm a very anxious person. It sounds like you are just having issues with anxiety. I would definately go talk to someone. And it can't hurt to keep chatting it up on here to relate to other mothers as well, because you are not alone! *Hugs*
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Hugs and good luck hun!!!
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010