Grave's Disease

I may Grave's Disease according to my blood work. I just wondering if anyone else has this and wanted to talk about their experiences with the doctors, medicines, and symptoms.

libertyteacher

Asked by libertyteacher at 7:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Health

• I am so sorry to hear about your health. My father had it. I very well may. However, I have't had any blood work done to check. I do know that you can inherit it from your parents and it's three times as likely to show up in girls than boys... So if you have girls get them checked... the sooner it is caught the better it can be treated! good luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I don't have Grave's disease, but I had thyroiditis a few years ago, which gives you both hyper and hypo thyroidism and can lead to it, so PM me if you would like to talk!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 7:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My mother had Grave's Disease. They caught it VERY early, and about 8 years ago they made the decision to destroy her thyroid using radiation. She takes a small pill every day, and will do so for the rest of her life.

I wish you the very best of luck. Don't be frightened...there are so many different options for treatment now. Good luck!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My mom also had Grave's Disease. Like Star Lee's mom, she was treated with radiation to destroy her thyroid. She's been taking that little pill for almost 20 years now and is totally fine.

We were so relieved for a diagnosis. She was so exhausted all the time and way too young for menopause.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Thank you for all of you that responded. My TSH is high but T3 and T4 are normal. I am taking half of one of the small pills. It does not run in my family I am the first with this problem. I am exhausted all of the time and having lots of hot flashes and only 30, way too early for menopause. They still do not know but guessing its Graves. Thank you again for your support and calming answers.
    libertyteacher

Answer by libertyteacher at 9:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2008