2 1/2 weeks of diarrhea in a 17 mths old

Hello im getting alittle concernd with my son. 2 weeks ago, the sunday before thanksgiving, my son got like a 5 hour stomach flu that pretty much hit everyone and anyone in its path. Along with the stomach flu he got horrible diarrhea, pretty much like water. This diarrhea has been going on now for 2 1/2 weeks. I know a couple days it was getting close to be back to normal so i thoughts everything would be fine. This morning it was like water again and it was up to his chest, down his leg and on his foot, he wears footed sleeper jamies. It was absolutely horrible! Since this has started he has had 3 major blow outs that go up his chest...usually in the morning when he wakes up. He was seen at the doctor last wednesday (so a week ago) because i just knew something was wrong and sure enough he had strep. Any help to explain what is going on or if i should be worried would be greatly appreciated.....thanks!

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him to the pediatrician.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Two straight weeks of that can be near deadly and signal a much bigger issue. I would assume you let your pediatrician know last Wednesday he had it but i would be calling back and taking him to the office again, or even the emergency room. Once my son stayed sick even after taking prescribed medicine and his pediatrician tried to dismiss it. I finally took him to the emergency room and the doctor there said my son would've died in his sleep that night had I not brought him in. His lungs were filling with fluid. It sounds like it could be the rotovirus but I would take him in again until you get a good answer and good treatment. Make sure you keep him hydrated.
    tharealty2

Answer by tharealty2 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• NOW its probably from the antibiotic. Give him yogurt. it contains good bacteria that will help restore the flora of his intestines

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• see a dr cuz diarreah can cause dehydration and by him being young you dont want thangs to turn bad at the last minute
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My 21 month old daughter just got over just about the same thing! It was horrible.. The whole house had it for a few days, but hers just wouldn't go away... I kept her on the B.R.A.T. diet and then this weekend I started adding culturelle to her water. She's all good to go and back to eating and pooping normal! Good luck
    terahg

Answer by terahg at 12:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Like anothg mom suggested, the problem now may be being caused by the antibiotics. I'd highly recommend Culturelle as terahq suggested. Solved the problem for us in the past. One capsule a day is what we did.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We're going through that right now too. The stomach flu went through the whole family, but my son has been throwing up (at least 2x per day) for 7 days and has had diarrhea for almost 2 weeks. I called his pediatrician and she said that it's normal for toddlers to struggle getting the virus out of their system like adults can. She said 10 days of vomitting is normal (not constant vomitting though), and 15-20 days of diarrhea is normal... as long as he stays hydrated enough. It's so discouraging to see them so sick and unable to keep much down! You have an added twist with the strep and antibiotics! I would make sure that he's hydrated, call the pediatrician (even if it's just for reassurance for you!) and wait another day or 2. If you feel something is really wrong though, take him into the ER or to see his Dr tomorrow - momma's instincts are often right!! I'll have to try the culturelle for my son!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 1:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks everyone! Yes it does suck and im really getting sick of having to wash bedding every morning cause the poop leaks out! We started the BRAT diet yesterday( which is what my doc said to try) and before bed he had a more solid poop but then again this morning it was a mess again! So i dont know. We are gonna stick with the BRAT diet all day today and hopefully soon this will end! Does anyone know if baby rice cereal is ok for the BRAT diet? thats what i was giving him last night for supper mixed with apple juice.
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2010