Stuttering?

My 2 (3 in April) is just in the last couple of months talking a lot. But in the last week or so he's been stuttering. He's in ECI and I will mention it to them. But is this usually just a stage? Is there anything I can do to help him not do it? It's mostly when he's excited or very active.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My husband used to stutter. I don't know at what age he started stuttering though. Definitely talk to ECI about it though. They can definitely work with him with his stutteting. My husband went to speech through elementary school for stuttering and articulation. The only time he stutters now is when he gets nervous or very mad.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• all of my boys have gone through a stuttering stage at about that age too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My DH has a stutter. It only comes out when he is real mad or excited about something, or if he's trying to spew out a ton of information. He said the stuttering started for him when he was around 4. He went to all kinds of speech therapy, but nothing ever worked...he still stutters. It's not super bad, sometimes you would never know when speaking to him. But, people who know him real well knows that he has a slight stutter. I don't even notice it anymore really.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• just tell him to slow down some. when he gets too over-excited. or else you can't understand him.That's what I did with my son he stuttered too at that age. But be calm about it, he's only two .it will take time for him to realize and comprehend that when he stutters its hard for you to understand him.But I would be harder on him by age three.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Your best source of help for stuttering, especially with a young child is the non-profit Stuttering Foundation. stutteringhelp.org has tips for parents, if and when a child needs to see a speech therapist who specializes in treating stuttering, a list of referrals to specialists all over the world, online videos and e-books, helpful books you can find at your library, and the causes of stuttering.
    EvelynP

Answer by EvelynP at 6:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2010