Have you ever had issues with your cat peeing in your house instead of their litter box?

My husband and I have noticed over the past few days that our daughter's room has this really strong odor in it. Yesterday we found urine in the corner of her closet and then my husband said he remembered catching our cat in that same corner the other day, but he didn't think anything of it. Well, we cleaned it up and everything was fine but when I got up this morning and went in there, I found MORE! He's not neglected, he gets paid a LOT of attention from us and he also uses his litter box. I really don't think it's him "spraying" because I know most people will say that. This is just very unhealthy and unsanitary for our daughter and I can't have this.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Something you might try in the mean time is a comfort zone plug in with feliway. It puts out happy kitty pharomones that help for isses like this one. He should still be neutered though. I personally could not live with an unneutered male cat, a toms urine is so much worse then one that has been fixed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It could be the cat has an an infection of some sort or not liking a dirty box. Our oldest cat did this but it was her age and she got bladder infections quite a bit. We have one cat right know that will do that on our floor if the cat litter box is to dirty. Also major changes can affect a cat too. Good luck and hope you figure it out.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• At this point regardless of why the cat started doing it, the scent is in the rug/floor/wall and he will associate that spot with his pee area and keep doing it. A lot of urine eliminators don't fully get rid of the smell. My moms cat is now kept out of the 2nd floor completely with a baby gate, but if a towels or blanket is left anywhere she'll pee on it. We own a carpet cleaning business and the only product we've ever found that completely gets rid of the smell is our commercial product called Urine Eliminator.

But another product called XO Odor Neutralizer does a pretty good job. You can find it on QVC and in a few stores.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Is he neutered? If not that is step on and if not, then he is spraying. Bladder infections are the most common cause for cats peeing out of the box. ou may need to retrain him. Also, some cats are picky, so keep a really clean box, and some cats don't like a cover on their box. If all else fails, you may need to confine him to a small area like a bathroom (with drains plugged) and his cat box for a few weeks to retrain him to the box.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My mom's cats do that. Every now and then one of them will get a bug up their butt and pee in the weight room. She eventually closed it off and they are not allowed in there any more. We were wondering if it is becuase my step-bro picks on them and it smells like him down there. Have no idea why, but you might have to keep her room closed.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have a cat that does that sometimes and was wondering the same thing. He is 5 years old and we have never had a problem before. He is an indoor only cat and gets lots of attention. We have 2 cats so we got a 2nd litter box. We clean them both daily. I know he uses the box and I am at a loss as to what to do. It's driving me insane
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Our one cat did that for a while. Finally linked it to the fact that her "best buddy" our Golden retriever was no longer with us :(( and she missed her.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• your cat may have a bladder infection. can you take him to the vet?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It is still possible that he spraying. Even if he is neuter he still has the ability. But there is also a chance that he has a bladder infection.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Our cat will pee on towels or clothes left on the bathroom floor--right next to the litter box! We don't know why, we just have to make sure & pick up everything. He will also pee in the linen closet. Again, not sure why so we have to make sure the door latches when we close it. Make sure your cat can't get into your daughter's room & use the tips listed to re-train him to the litter box.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010