Is is disrespectful to celebrate holidays from other religions?

We home school and love to incorporate the holidays of other cultures into our studies. This week we are learning about Hanukkah and the customs that go along with it. Well, when our daughter was telling a friend about what we were doing her mom piped up that it was disrespectful to celebrate a holiday that wasn't your own, and a few other moms agreed it was "odd". I don't see it that way, but admittedly I don't see religion as the average person does around here. So, I'm asking a bigger group of people to see if this is really a taboo or if we have a lot of closed minded people around here.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 11:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• You are doing something REALLY good for your kids.
    Any Moms who think it is "odd' are wrong. they are being narrow-minded and ignorant!
    We need to all become aware and enlightened and more important, is accepting other religions and differences.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't think so. I think it's kind of a way to celebrate all cultures. It teaches her that diversity is ok.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think it is great for kids to do that.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think it's an awesome idea--and quite the opposite from being disrespectful!
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 11:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Of course not. In a world where people insist on having such clear lines between "THIS" religion and "THAT" religion I would think it's a wonderful blessing to be able to celebrate or honor other faiths. It helps people to understand the similarities rather than the differences and gives people a chance to understand for a moment that we are really all the same. It's beautiful!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think it's great for children to learn about the traditions of other families. It can only help to promote peace and kindness between them. If more adults understood the vantage points of others maybe, just maybe, we'd have a chance for peace everywhere in the world.
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Not at all! i see nothing wrong with good hearted celebration. i think it makes us more tolerant of others' differences from our own.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't think it's disrespectful at all. I think it's actually respectful.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't see it as wrong- there was a woman that was in my belly dancing class who makes it a point to celebrates all kinds of different holidays. I thought it was really cool that she does that

people will find reasons to crab about all kinds of things- don't worry about it! I think it's a great idea for your kids to learn about other holidays and whatnot :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No, I think it's great.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2010