need some legal advice/opinions

I recently got a divorce, and when I was married EVERYTHING was in my name, so when our divorce was final, my credit score dropped because of the debt to ratio. Then, he left me with all the bills (house, vehicles x 2, personal loan we had together, etc). I had to let one vehicle get repoed (the more expensive one), but they are saying I owe 7000.00 still on it after they sold it for the remaining balance, is there anyway to "work" with them or any sort of words to say to them to get them to work with me on it and lower it (I know with medical bills, you can usually get them lowered or "writ off" but I'm not sure on a vehicle). I have thought about filing bankruptcy, but not sure if that is the right thing to do either. I am needing some help!!! I can afford most (started renting my house out, even though I am behind on it, hopefully that don't hurt me in the long run - I am hoping to get enough back on income taxes to pay for the back amount which is 2000.00). I'd rather build my credit back up on it's own versus filing bankruptcy, I just need some advice on maybe what I can do or don't do with the repo thing because the company is being rude (which I understand) saying I have to pay the full amount owed, and have to make the full payment amount each month or they can still go forward with actions to take against me. Please someone tell me you've been where I'm at and can help me!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Put the house up for sale, and please tell the people you're renting to that you're behind, and that the house could get foreclosed on at anytime. They deserve that much. Did you not have an attorney for your divorce? It sounds to me like he did and you got the shaft... I would consult an attorney and see what your options are. I hope you can get out from under all of this, but I do NOT recommend bankruptcy.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If your vehicle got repoed I don't think you owe them anything. They have the car. I mean that is why most people have their vehicles repoed in the first place. They can't pay for it. I personally wouldn't worry about it. Just try to save as much as you can and pay off the debt you have.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We filed on our own without attorneys, both of us, he didn't even show up for court - only me. They are telling me that when they repo a car, they then take them to an auction and sell them, and take whatever they get out of the vehicle - then continue charging/telling you that you owe the remaining balance (like mine was 17,000 owed, they sold it for around 10 i'm assuming, and now i owe 7 they are saying). Idk if I have to pay that or not, but they say that if it goes too far they will start garnishing my wages.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Bankruptcy will lower your credit score even more and that stays on your credit report for 10 years. Most creditors will work with you so long as you contact them before they take you to collections. Ever considered suing your ex for the bills he's now forcing you to pay?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You got screwed. You should have had an attorney because it shouldn't matter who's name is on the house and vehicles. He should have still been responsible for half, unless you owned them all prior to your marriage and even then, he might be liable.

Calmly tell the repo company that what they are doing is harrassment and that you need to speak to your lawyer. I am not sure what the laws are about that, but I thougth that once they repo the car, you are done with it. Call the company that you financed the vehicle through and find out. Otherwise, you may have to at least consult with some legal aid.

Good luck!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree, there is no way he should have been able to walk away from all that just because it was in your name. My ex has to pay me for half of all our old bills every month until they are paid off. (except the house since I live here and he doesn't). They can't just garnish your wages, they have to take you to court first. Call them and just let them know how much you can pay a month and that anything over that is impossible. Most places are willing to work with you as long as you are giving them something each month. Hugs hon, divorce is a PITA and the aftermath can be worse. I would look into what you need to do to get your ex to pay half of the bills you accrued together. GL!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Uhm, OK, that is how repo's work. They take the car, sell it really cheap, and you owe the balance. Forclosures work the same way, BTW.

And this is why I never suggest that people do thier own divorces.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• so could i still talk to an attorney about it all? or is it too late since divorce is final? he didn't have to pay anything, he walked away with nothing other than his jeep (which is almost in my name and his), insurance and cell phone......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't think it would hurt to talk to an attorney, most of them will do free consultations. Then at least you know if you have any recourse.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010