Florida???Alligators?

anyone who lives in Florida, We were thinking of moving to Florida but I head their are alligator everywhere and now I am scared! I have small children and pets should I be worried?

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Travel

• I've lived here for a year and a half and the only ones I have seen were at the zoo.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I was there for three months and saw 4. It all depends on the area. My sisters lived right by a body of water so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But I'd be more afraid of the prices out there! Yikes!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Prices where I live aren't that bad. Some things are higher (like milk) but other things (like produce) are a whole lot cheaper. It all depends in which part of the state you're talking about.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yeah there are alligators down here, should you be worried about it, nope. If one is seen in a neighborhood animal control is called and they remove it. People go tubing down the rivers all the time with gators in them. I have seen maybe one out in the wild in the 24 years I have lived here.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree with crafting, it depends what area you are in. If it is a touristy place (Orlando) the prices can get ridiculous. Outside of that prices are on par with most other states.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My dad and sisters live out there and I visit often. Yes, it is expensive out there. It always has been. They have lived all over the state.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I've never lived in Florida but we have alligators here in Louisiana too, just maybe not as much where peoples homes are. But I think as long as you have a good fence you should be fine. Oh, and NEVER ever feed them and find out the laws there about shooting them or trapping them.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I was born and raised in Florida and never saw one just roaming. Only in lakes and not all lakes there are usually warning signs about not swimming. We never went to swim in lakes anyways with the beautiful Gulf nearby or the Ocean on the other side. It would be the last thing i would worry about when moving to Florida.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have lived in FL for my whole life (36 years) and I have never seen one roaming around a neighborhood or anything. Not to say that it can't happen, but usually doesn't. However, you should NEVER let your children play around lakes and retention ponds by themselves, which you shouldn't anyways. But there is no legitimate reason to worry that they are roaming around neighborhoods eating kids and pets.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree with slw123 . I've lived here almost all my 48 yrs and the thing is about gator's is they like water, retention ponds......and of course never leave kids unattended.

Country clubs tend to get gators ( I worked at one and we had to call the guy a few times a year to remove a few ) and real rural areas and it is very RARE for them to be wandering around neighborhoods. One way o r another they'll be spotted. Fences help with that issue as long as they are over a certain height I heard.

Here is a link for you......http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw230   This should help ya out! But don't let it deter you from moving to the Sunshine State ( which is chilly now with cold weather! ) 

It's a great state....if you live down south, live OUT of Orlando city limits, and into the further suburbs, rent/home prices are cheaper usually.

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2010