How much should I charge for in home child care?

I have an almost 4 year old girl and my friend wants me to watch her 3 1/2 year old boy and 1 year old girl in my home while she goes to school. I don't know how much to charge. It will be hourly and I will provide all meals while they are with me in addition to taking them anywhere I go (though I will prob do mostly free things like the library, the mall play area or the park). Her and her husband don't have a lot of money so I don't want to ask too much but on the other hand I need to do something while I am at home to help with our bills.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think 6 bucks sounds good if you are trying to help her out. That's about 50 dollars a day. It depends a little bit on where you live too. Where I live, a mom would pay about 60 dollars a day for kids that age at a daycare center. Since you are supplying food, you would be about the same.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• How long will you have them for? How many days a week and how many hours a day?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• 2 or 3 days a week for 9 hours each
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes...we need to know if it will be an every day thing or twice a week or what. I charge by the week if it's more than 25 hours a week. Don't sell yourself short...it can be get "interesting" watching the children of friends. Some will try to take advantage of you.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I pay 25 dollars a day for 9 hours with one child at a home daycare. What are you thinking?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Call up some daycares in your area and ask what they charge for the ages and hours you will be needed. You can base your rates on what everyone in your area charges. That way you are being fair to the mom who is paying you and being fair to yourself.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well we want to do it hourly since some days she will get off early and some late but I was thinking like $6 an hour for the two kids.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I thinking charging hourly when you have a daycare is tricky, because you'll be cheated out of money. If lets say they don't come for a week, or only for half day also someone can complain that you didn't time it right. I would do a flat rate. I have a daycare and have had one for 6yrs. If this is something you want as a business then I would sell myself short but if your just helping friends out then I would see what first is comfortable with you then see if your friend can match that.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thats really low. At least charge 5.00 for one kid... at least.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have had a full time in home daycare for 12 years and I charge whether they are here or not, since I am holding a spot for them to use at will. If I were you, I would come up with a number you're comfortable with and see what they say. If they can't pay it, they won't have much luck finding someone who will do it cheaper than a good friend. For two kids, 9 hours a day 2-3 days a week...I would charge at least $40 a day (not each) and that is low.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2010