co-sleep?

until my son was about 3 months i did not want to cosleep at all but breastfeeding it became easier too once he woke up. sometimes i did the whole night and he slept better. now he sleeps in his crib either the whole night or until he wakes up. but we sleep together for his first nap which i am gonna take write after i write this. whats your thoughts about co sleeping? do you? why or why not? and do you recommend it? since i breastfeeding would love to know what formula feeding mamas do? oh and how long is the "normal" time to co sleep for like what age is too old.

mamajennie31010

Asked by mamajennie31010 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• i co-slept with my DD until she was 4 years old. Ex slept in a different room, so she slept with me. I loved it & i miss it terribally. DD is now 9 & every once in a while i'll still hop in bed with her & sleep with her for the night, i only do that if DH happens to be working a night shift. If DH is in my bed, i always sleep with him.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I couldn't bed share because I never slept. But we co-slept with my daughter in a bassinet next to my bed and it worked really well.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• mine slept with me until around the age of 2ish (sometimes they still do, esp when they don't feel good)... It made life so much easier.

You should google and do some of your own research, "cosleeping" and 'bedsharing' are actually totally different terms. Cosleeping refers to any time the baby shares a room with you, when you bedshare, your baby sleeps with you- BOTH are forms of cosleeping, but are totally different. The benefits of cosleeping are enormous, I can't even begin to type it out here.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We still cosleep part of the night, and DS is 2. We coslept the whole night until 11 months, and then we started the transition to the crib. He comes to our bed about 6AM and we get up around 7:30 or 8. I think it's fine, as long as the child is happy and the parents are happy. I've known people who cosleep with their kids into kindergarten, but everyone is happy with the arrangement.
    As a breastfeeding mom, I got SO much more sleep because of cosleeping. We figured out positions where he could nurse and I could sleep. Not to mention the closeness DS has with us. He's very affectionate and lovey, and I think cosleeping has something to do with it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i dont want to sounds dumb but what does DH, DS, DD. i think i know the h is husband s is son and d is daughter but i always just said it was darling h,s,d. but idk lol. i love the arrangement we do now. his crib is in our room so we do both cosleep and bedshare. bedsharing is becoming a issue when he wakes up for his rather large head will be swung at my face. just got a bloody lip from him hitting the middle of my mouth... got a bruise on my head from yesterday.. other then his dangerous head i enjoy it. we are VERY close because of it and i love him being a mamas boy hehe
    mamajennie31010

Comment by mamajennie31010 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have three boys and my oldest just turned 4 years old. Every once in a while they will all end up in my bed, good thing I bought a king sized bed, but usually my two oldest will sleep in their beds now. My second is about to turn 2 years old and he just started sleeping more on his own but if he wakes up in the middle of the night he will usually climb into my bed. I do both breast and formula feeding with my youngest. Not only is co-sleeping easier but it's comforting for both mommy and baby but I had them sleep right next to my bed in their bassinet until they out grew it before they could sleep in my bed that way they're bigger and louder, just in case somebody lays on them, my boys flip around at night. I love it and usually so does Hubby.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 19 months old, still breastfeeding, and we co-sleep. She naps and first goes down for the night in her own bed, then when she wakes up at night to nurse, she gets in bed with me. This didn't start until 6 months, when she started waking up during the night again (had been sleeping through since 7 weeks) when I started leaving her home to go to work full time. It's how I was/am able to get as much sleep as possible.

My first was formula-fed and never co-slept. But he was sleeping through the night at 2.5 months and has ever since (he's now 3).

I don't particularly care for co-sleeping, personally. I don't like sharing my sleep space. I don't like being confined. I don't like being hit in the face. Etc. But it's how I get sleep. And some people love it. It's really a personal decision, whether to do it and for how long. Whatever works best for you. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010