Looking for information about Yule.

I posted earlier that we were learning about different winter holidays this year. We started with a video that introduced 4 winter holidays: Hunukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas and Yule. Well, the only information it gave about Yule was that it was very similar to Christmas. That's just not enough. I know there are several on here who celebrate Yule, so I came here asking for first hand experience. Are there special foods that normally go with your celebration, what kinds of traditions are common, etc.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 11:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• Yule: circa Dec. 21 (Winter Solstice) Longest night of the year. The Goddess gives birth to her son (the sun). Celebrate the return of the sun with fires or candles. It reminds us that death is followed by rebirth.
    Focus on the light which will return.
    Traditions/Activities: lighting the Yule log, lighting candles and fires to honor the newborn sun, wreath making, gift giving, Wassailing, mistletoe, and storytelling. Rituals of birth and rebirth.
    Correspondences:
    Color: Gold, red and green
    Time of day: After sunset
    Season: Winter
    Animals: Stag, wolf, hawk
    Nature: The sun
    Properties: rebirth, intuition, growth
    Incense/Herbs: Pine, frankincense, or myrrh
    Altar decorations: evergreen boughs, holly berries, pine cones
    Goddess: Crone aspect (Cerridwen)
    God: Helios
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Before joining CM, the only time I had ever heard Yule was in relation to the Yule log, which is used at Christmas. I always though Yule was just another term for the Christmas season.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yule is celebrated by Pagan religions. It is the winter solstice- the longest night of the year. The importance of the holiday is great- after that night the sun "returns" to warm the earth. Just as we must rest at night the earth needs to rest all winter so that it can be fertile again come spring. The evergreen is thought be some to be a symbol from the divine or a goddess figure that the earth is not dead but merely resting and that the green will again come back. By the old calendar the winter solstice marked the middle of winter (where today it marks the first day of winter) so was seen as a time of being half way through the roughest part of the year.

Just a few things for ya from a practicing Pagan. :)
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I do celebrate Yule. The answer above was the shortest I could give. It's part of the Ancient ways, dating back about 5000 years when people celebrated the Solstices and Exuinoxes, harvests, Spring, fertility of animals, planting, etc.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Can I get technical for a moment? Christmas is a lot like Yule, not the other way around... Sorry, but that bugs me.

Anyways, I celebrate Yule, although this year the holidays have to take a back seat to life. For normal years we decorate a tree, have a Turkey or Chicken dinner. Lots of candles & Yule Log, plus gifts and stories... And I have a small personal ritual (since my DH & kids aren't Pagan) once everyone else heads to bed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thanks for the link (c: We are doing some online research too, but I was looking here for what those who participate in the holiday do to celebrate. I don't know anyone in real life who celebrates Yule, but I knew there were people here who did. (c:
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Sorry, Sabrina, you are right, since Yule is much older. I really appreciate everyone share with us, my daughter felt like Yule was being overlooked in the video (we found it at http://www.brainpop.com/ in case anyone is interested).  It's great to hear from all of you.  In fact, I find it really, really interesting that franensince and myrhh are common with the Yule holiday since we are taught that those are two of the gifts from the wise men at Christmas.  It makes me wonder if they were bringing gifts to celebrate Yule.  Wow, so much research to do now.  LOL  Again, thank you all for helping us, you guys are great!

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010