can I be doing more?

Hi Ladies,

I feel like I should be doing more with my 20 day old. He's looking around, and kind of reaching for things, but I am not really that mobile (pelvic diastasis - its getting better but walking with him anymore than once a day across the house really starts hurting). I can't lay with him on the floor.
I'm on my own today - Which is fine. I just feel like he's sleeping because he's bored. I have little hanging things in the rolling bassinett, and I talk to him and sing to him....which is good but..... should I be doing more?

Laurenmommy918

Asked by Laurenmommy918 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• New babies sleep an average of 20 hours per day. Don't worry about that. When you are sitting, you can hold him. They need the closeness to bond. Have bright colored things, shiny things to show him. Talking and singing to him are wonderful. Sounds like you are on the right track.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You are doing great! He is not sleeping from boredom but because he needs it. Relax and enjoy the things you are doing with him! That is all he needs right now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• shouldn't he be saving some sleeping for night time?
    Laurenmommy918

Comment by Laurenmommy918 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well, sometimes they do get their days and nights mixed up, but it works out over time. It is rough when babies do that but it doesn't last long.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• don't get me wrong,he's really good at night too! sometimes I have to wake him up to eat! :-D
    Laurenmommy918

Comment by Laurenmommy918 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I felt that was I doing enough with my son, honestly, your baby will start to show signs of what they want real soon, the best thing to understand is most babies on average in the beginning sleep alot!! And, wake up several times. Singing and playing is great, be sure to do a little tummy time! But, your doing everything you can do right now at this stage. Just enjoy the downtime you have, at this time when their resting, you rest yourself Mama.
    Good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Get a wrap, so he can be with you when he's awake. I used to love laying on the couch, with my knees up and lay him up agains my thighs, so we were facing eachother and having pretend conversations. I would talk and he would stare, but I pretended like he was answering LOL. We read books, and sang songs....Great memories. But babies this age really just sleep a lot. They need it (they are DOUBLING their weight!) so watch for signs of overstimulation. he'll look away and look dissatisfied when he needs to be left alone or put to bed.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2010