I need a mom t talk to.....possibly with autistic toddlers..

I need a mom to talk to who has a child who has a bit of a developmental delay....my 2 1/2 year old son is a bit of a late talker- he's doing better now but still not where he should be. He has intervention and an intervention playgroup....but he doesn't do too well there so much so that his coordinator has suggested he may be slightly autistic which is #1 not something I see in him seeing as he's so social and loves everyone and #2 it's something I'm having a hard time coming to terms with because in some instances I feel he could be...just very slightly. He's has melt downs over the tinest things, perfers to run around the room instead of playing with the toys/kids at playgroup and seem to have trouble focusing....although at home its a much different story.

I'm just having a hard time dealing with the delay he has and the fcat that so many other 2 1/2 year olds are leaps and bound ahead of him and I wonder why me....why my son? What did I do wrong?

We don't have the money for the autism screening.....or the cost after deductibles and all...and I don't know what else to do...

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 11:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need a Bump!
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Most states/counties will do an evaluation and if your child qualifies - the therapy is covered. you should check with your local early childhood intervention program. My son is 3 and currently going through this program, not for speech but meltdowns like you talk about which are over everything, they are leaning more towards severe anxiety -OCD - possible ADHD- could be high functioning aspergers... we are still in the process - you can friend invite me and we can talk *hugs*
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• she gave me a list and the closest place to me without a 6 month wait list is $400 after insurance...i just want to cry because I enevr wanted to be in this boat
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• max's mom how do I friend you?
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would check with the school system. I know in our state the schools can do screening, like a public preschool. I understand how hard it is to have a child that is behind. My DD was fine until this past August. She is 9 years old and was going intot he 3rd grade. Now she is very sick and not doing any of the things she used to. I think you need to see if there are any groups in your area. Talk to the pediatritian and see what they have to say. Maybe they can point you in the right direction or hook you up with other people that have children like your son. Also, don't worry to much I have a cousin with a mild form of autsim. He is 36 years old married with 3 children and he has a job.

Good Luck and stay strong.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• thanks cornflake for the info about your cousin...that helps.

my son's got a pre-school eval in Jan and will hopefully be accepted for the speech delay then start next fall. this is just not something I wanted to ever deal with and I avoid wanting to hang out with a cool mom I met in Feb...our sons are 2 weeks apart (mines older) but hers is more like a 3 1/2 year old and I seriously cant deal...I do everything I can for him- one on one time, time to play alone, 2 playgroups (one thats just a free play one that he does great with...then the intervention one that hes not so great with..)

start of the new year I'm cracking down hard and creating structured days, less TV, more hard core one on one time....just hope it all helps
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i amazed how people worry that their kids are not like ever other child ,some kids are slow ,some are super fast and others are just bit faster then that ,if i listen to all the crab that my kids where not up to standers i would be rich woman ,john,josh,jeff,nina,and nick are above what all the doctors thought so you can sit worry or you can wait he will catch up and you will be amazed ,remember he is only 2yrs old
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I know dutch.. I know...I can deal with the speech delay..whatever...but possibly autism is just killing me....I mean my first child was nothing I ever expected... colic, allergies, speech delay, didnt walk till 16 months, lots of respritory infections...I supposed I am just a little disapointed right now that nothing in my life ever turns out the way I want it to...the way I deserve it to...I just sorta feel like I always have to deal with the hard thing in life...I'm sick of being handed the hard deal.

I love my son- don't get me wrong.....he's mostly super sweet, and super smart when he wants to be......I just feel like I did something wrong somewhere along the line
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You should be able to talk to the early intervention program about it. I do believe they should be able to do an evaluation. It won't be a diagnosis cuz I believe you need to see a neurologist or a developmental pediatrician for a diagnosis or even your regular pediatrician can help with it.

Also what you have been through with your son is just about exactly what I have been through with my son. He didn't walk til he was 17 months, lots of respiratory issues resulting in floppy airways and asthma so during the winter especially he is on daily breathing treatments. He is also speech delayed and in therapy for speech and developmental therapy. He also has reflux disease (GERD) since birth. He was premature too. And just recently he was diagnosed with epilepsy which isn't helping with his delays at all. Our sons early intervention program has been the biggest help though in getting us the resources and testing needed
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I know autism sounds like a life sentence right now, but it's not. I have 5 kids. My oldest has autism and he is by far my easiest child to deal with! He wasn't always that way, and the years from 2-5 made me feel like I wanted to pull my hair out, but with a lot of hard work it got so much better. He has taught me to really appreciate the little things in life. His wants/needs are so simple, he's so easy to please and such a joy!
    An evaluation by early intervention should be free. What state/county do you live in? Contact your local or state autism society and ask them where you should go - they will be able to tell you where to go. I've never heard of any state who didn't have a free place for developmental evaluations. If you want, I'll try to look it up for you if you will give me the info on where you live.

Answer by missanc at 9:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010