WIC

Is signing up for WIC like receiving welfare or foodstamps? Is it designed for lower-income households?.
(I have nothing against welfare, and this question is not designed to be judmental)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes, it is still a form of public assistance.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, it is. It stands for Women,Infants,& Children. It is a form of welfare.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes it is for low income people.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It's a form of public assistance with a much higher income threshold than food stamps or welfare. It's meant to fill the gaps in the nutrition of children because money is usually spent elsewhere in the grocery budget.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• When I applied for WIC I just had to show them proof of address and income.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My neice is on it so I can help ya!! It does stand for Women, Infants, Children...Children are on it until they reach 5 yrs of age...You sign up where ever there is a WIC office located...You get these "checks" that have a food list printed on them & you go to where these WIC checks are accepted & do your shopping from these checks...Breast feeding mother's/non breast feeding mothers get a certain food package...Like my neice breats feed for a few months & when she stopped her package changed...For infants you get formula, juice, food, cereal...For toddlers you get whole wheat bread, peanut butter, juice, cheese, eggs, cereal(certain kinds ONLY approved by WIC), fruits & veggies UP TO $6.00...My neice said if you go over the $6.00 you pay the difference...there are more food items but there are just some of what she said she gets! You do ahve to be a low income family to apply...Hope this helped!!!
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• sort of! Its separate but the info is about the same. they help people who ARENT on any other support as well
    menmy6

Answer by menmy6 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Okay thank you so much for your help! All your replies were very helpful to me!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I was on WIC 11 years ago when my daughter was a baby.

It's a tad bit like food stamps--but be warned slighty..they are quite too "picky" about the stupid "sizes" of the cereal boxes and brands (or was when I had it)..one time I had to wait in line for 20 min just because I got the right cereral brand--but the size was too "big"..sigh..so stupid. But when it comes to milk, eggs, and formula..it does help.
    But the negative side...they don't give you much options and you have to choose the exact brands and sizes that's on the voucher. However, for forumla..it also helps--even tho I only breastfed--she never took the bottle..so I never had to buy any. ;)
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yea wic is helpful. I think sooner or later they will do the same to the link card since people are spending it on unhealthy food. Wic helps you buy food that is good for your baby. it comes in handy and its help. I figure if you are working your paying taxes that go toward things like this so its really not free lol. your just using serivces you pay for so its not a bad thing to have/use
    MissChunkyLuv

Answer by MissChunkyLuv at 6:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010