Do you think your child has or will have?

A good work ethic? Step son 18 yr old hates work, he has a job and recently has taken some time off because he said he needs a break. Im like WTF, a break? But I cant say anything because im the step parent and he does not live with us. Thoughts?

voni681

Asked by voni681 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• well sit down and talk to him about how how he acts now can effect the jobs and employment status of the future.
    MaybeMommy1994

Answer by MaybeMommy1994 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Mine aren't old enough to tell yet. My oldest is just 12. I just hope what I have taught them through the years they will stick to it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• probably not...LOL! But, i really hope so!

I think if he found a job he liked, it might be different. I had a few jobs that i hated as a teen & would quit easily. But, i found that ONE job that was awesome...and everything changed. It was nice to have a job that i enjoyed as a teen. I made lots of friends & a good bit of money.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think my kids will have a good work ethic. It is funny because my oldest is 13 almost 14 and at home he is a little lazy, complains about helping and is very slow when he does help. I met with his teachers last week and they said how wonderful he is. He always gets his work in on time and he works very hard while at school. He goes to a performing arts school and is in a play this year. The teacher said he is always prepared and just a joy to have in class.

I was like wow, so I think while at home he is lazy, I know when he is not here he is working hard. Good Luck with your step son, I understand you don't feel you can say anything , although if you are with him you might make a comment. I don't know if you can or not it was just a thought.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• ❤¸.•*""*•.¸My 13 yr old i believe will have a great work ethic he knows that you have to work for the things you want and he helps alot around the house when he's needed to...i'm not too sure about my other kids yet...they are 10-9-and 5 and my girls aren't much of workers they would rather be playing all the time or fighting...lol they do help when asked..sometimes it's a struggle but it gets done..lol good luck❤¸.•*""*•.¸
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Both my kids ended up with a great work ethic. They are both hard workers and devoted to their companies.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• my DD does, she started working (she wanted to) at 16 changed jobs at 18 and was made manager of her own store at age 19 (youngest manager there) She is 21 and still the manager and does online school. Lives on her own and pays her own bills, also bought her own vehicle. My SD13 is other story, BM & my DH spent her whole life giving her everything and making her do nothing for herself (example she will get a phone call DH will walk the phone in her bedroom when she finishes talking she will yell for him and hand him the phone to hang up!) She doesn't do anything as far as chores, nothing, not with us or her mom. BM thinks she shouldn't have to do anything she says "she is just a child"  I say good luck to her because SD will not live off of us after she turns 18(I don't allow my own DD to either)  Good luck with yours

Anonymous

• I know my oldest already has a good work ethic. He is up at 5 am and works until 5:20 pm at the same place his father works. He is going to apply for the union in February and he is only 18. My second son already has a good work ethic because even though he is only 14, he works his butt off for his allowance doing some of the crappiest jobs around the house all to save up for a laptop. He has been doing this for 8 months now and finally has the money if we add in our contribution, so it will be his Christmas gift. My two daughters, on the other hand, would like nothing better than to sit on a couch and have us hand everything to them. I worry more for one than the other, because one is a worker and the other is spoiled by her mother and aunt. She is my stepdaughter so I have very little say, but she gets whatever she wants at home. I express my opinion, but that's all, but I worry for her and so does her father.
    Treefrog64

Answer by Treefrog64 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i think at that age, if the child needs money, then they will work. when i was in college some of the worst co workers were the ones that were just working for "spending money"
    if your ss's parents will provide for him while he is taking a break, then he will not be motivated to go back to work. that is my opinion anyhow!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It comes and goes

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010