Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

trying to get my ex introuble for tax fraud...any advice?

claims the kids even though he doesnt provide for them. protective orders in place keeping him away. no child support paid in well like 2 years. Is there a way to claim kids on taxes when you dont work? cuz he has been saying for years that he has no job but he gets thousands back in child tax credit. how is this possible? or legal?

Answer Question

Asked by menmy6 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 6 (145 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • Why don't YOU claim them if you have them? When the IRS gets both returns for the same kids they'll freeze both and ask for proof. You'll turn in the proof that you have the kids in your care and his return will be rejected.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • And shouldn't his tax return be taken and given to you if he owes back support?

    Answer by CraftingMama at 12:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Both of the previous posters are correct. If you file for the kids too, it will alert the IRS that something isn't right and then they can take it from there. I've been in the same boat before and it can take years to get everything straightened out so don't give up!!!


    Answer by skittles1108 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Find a CPA who will help you with this. Or a divorce attorney who also works with child support issues. The others have given you some really good advice. He can't get away with that anymore.

    Answer by kerp1960 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • If he is ordered through the court to pay child support when he files his taxes they should come straight to you. That is how it works for me anyway.

    Answer by Mena929 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • If he's in jail for fraud, you aren't going to see a penny.

    Answer by SavageGrl at 2:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Put them on your taxes too.

    Answer by badgirl44654 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Check your original custody order. I have 2 kids with ex-DH & he claims one & I claim the other. If your order doesn't say who gets the kids for tax purposes, then get a lawyer & have the order changed so you can claim them. Also, make sure your state knows that he is behind on child support & they will set up a garnishment for his tax return. And sadly, yes, it is possible to get money back on your taxes when you make very little income. The child tax credit & the earned income credit are both things he probably uses, as well as filing as head of household. Find a good divorce & tax lawyer & get this fixed sooner rather than later.

    Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • I saw it already on here but I will say it too, just claim them yourself, the IRS will see that 2 people are claiming the same children, they will bring both of you in for an audit and they will see that you are the one taking care of them....GOOD LUCK (though you shouldn't need it lol)

    Answer by JLS2388 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • If the order doesnt say who gets to claim them the it is the one who provide 60% of support

    Answer by JLS2388 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.