Is anyone else useless when they have a headache/migraine?

Of course, I have no insurance to actually get prescription medication for my migraines, but I'm getting desperate. I am useless when I get them. Tylenol doesn't help. Ibuprofen doesn't help. And I can't take Excedrin. Does anyone use natural remedies for migraines? Please.. enlighten me!!

mommommamommyyy

Asked by mommommamommyyy at 12:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Health

• I think you should re-post this as "What do you take for a migraine" or "OTC/natural migraine remedies?"

To answer this question, YES I am useless when I get a bad headache, and I don't even get migraines. I don't know how migraine sufferers do it. I am sorry you have so much pain.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i was when i used to get them, they were caused from the yasmin birth control i was taking. they were so bad, i couldn't take care of the kids and hubby had to call out of work to help me. i literally couldn't get out of bed, they were so bad. the only thing that helped was throwing the birth control in the garbage lol. the best cure for them is finding out WHY you get them, what is triggering them. a lot of things you eat and drink could set one off. try googling causes of migraines and you will find what foods/beverages to avoid. other than that i dont know what else to tell you :( hope you figure out the culprit soon and get better!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, when I used to get them I was pretty useless especially because the bad ones made me sick to my stomach often. Try Advil in combination with the Tylenol. You can take them at the same time if it isn't too often. . GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I am so useless its ridiculous, I take Excedrin though. I sometimes try things high in caffiene like tea. Also I feel better in the dark with no sound, but Im sure you already new that.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 12:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• ❤¸.•*""*•.¸yes i get them from time to time and i am useless as well..i end up laying in bed with my head propped up and sometimes a warm wash rag on my forhead..sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't...gl❤¸.•*""*•.¸
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have not had one it over 7 years. Since I have been seeing my chiropractor. I know staying away from C affine and chocolate are good when you get migraines. Not sure on any other natural ways to take care of it at home.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I used this trick when I was preggo, my doc reccommended. Take one baby aspirin and two tylenol and follow with some caffeine, like a soda or coffee. I then lay in a dark room and put a cold cloth over my eyes/forehead. Sometimes mint helps, mint tea or an herbal rub on your forehead.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, I'm pretty much incapicitated when they hit.

I typically piggyback 2 Tylenol w/ 2 Motrin, then wash it down with some caffeine. A hot towel (wet a handtowel, wring it out and microwave it for about a minute) wrapped around my head, then lie down for an hour or so in a dark, quiet room. If that doesn't help, I will heat the towel up again and go back to lie down, usually with an eyemask and earplugs. (With mine, light and sound trigger sharp shooting pain in addition to the general throb.)

The caffeine and heat help open up the constricted blood vessels, which is what causes the headache to begin with.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I didn't think to ask. Are you using any BC medication?

They didn't warn me (and I was dumb not to research myself) that Depo-Provera is contra-indicated if you have a history of migraines. The day I got my first (and only) Depo shot, I developed a migraine that lasted 3 days. By the end of Day 3, I was ready to gouge out my own eyes and eardrums to end the pain.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, I drink soda for caffie lay in dark room, sometimes if I get sick it lessens some
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010