to go active duty in the Army or not? - advice or experience would be helpful

Okay, so my husband and I are new to the Military and I'm new to this site. My husband joined the Army National Guard, left last June for basic and will be coming home with in the month! We spoke after Basic, while he's in AIT and he has told me he would like to go active in the Army. Although he would really like to go active he has left the choice up to me (or an agreement between the two of us) because we have a beautiful little girl (4 in Feb.) that we would be taking away from all our family & I'm not sure if I can do that to her. We are a really close family.

Real quick my Husbands reasons for wanting to join. (his words)
1. since being gone he has realized he would like to make this a career. He injoys it.
2 & 3. he doesn't have an college education and no job to come home to and going active, while I know you don't make tons of money it will be a constant job and will not have to worry about supporting his family.

Now I've done some research and know that it can be difficult to switch from Army National Guard to Active right after basic, but he was told because he didn't get a sign on bonus it could be alittle easier. Pros are great, stability, insurance, def income, benifits, chance to see new things BUT at the cost of possibly making our daughter un happy?? I want to be supportive of my husband and do whats right, I just don't know what right is....

Does anyone have any helpful advice or gone through this?

Sorry so long! :)

lou.lou

Asked by lou.lou at 12:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Going active is VERY hard if not almost impossible right now. Especially with him just joining the National Guard... The National Guard has to release your husband and then you have to see an Army recruiter and try to get enlisted... It can take months to up to a year to even get your foot in the door. The prior service numbers are VERY low currently and most slots have already been filled for the fiscal year.

Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My husband is active duty and it is an amazing experience for us. We are stationed in Hawaii, we would never have lived here if we hadn't been stationed here. the stability is such a great relief. We were making more money as civillians, but that's only because I was working as well and it's not feasible for me to work here because the job market is crap and daycare is outrageous. The benefits are great if you know how to get what you need. The people who claim they get crappy healthcare and don't reap the benefits of the Army community don't know how the system works. Definitely take AFTB classes through ACS as soon as you have the chance (you can do it now even though your hubbby is Guard, just contact your nearest base's Army Community Services). If you have any specific questions about Army life, PM me, I would be glad to help.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My husband is also Army National Guard and we have discussed him going active several times. Im against it, but I will admit I am selfish. I think about all we have to lose and not what we have to gain. I admire and respect all service men no matter what. I know he will retire from the military. But to be very blunt, as much as he says its your decision, you have to let it be his. Those men are a different breed and something inside them wont let them say no. Its admirable I know I couldn't do it. And your daughter has you and your husband she will be loved and taken care of where ever you go.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 12:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010