Should respect be earned?

I hear that a lot - that respect has to be earned. I am the type of person that always gives (and expects) respect from people until there is a reason not to. Shouldn't you just respect a person simply because they are a person - until or unless they lose it?

Asked by missanc at 12:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you 100%. Everyone deserves respect, until they give you a reason not to.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I was raised to have respect for everyone, unless I have reason not to.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I totally agree with you. If you give respect you should get it. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
    treeleaf

Answer by treeleaf at 12:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree with you!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think it depends on how you view respect. I respect everyone whether they deserve it or not, because I believe that they were created in the image and likeness of God. Respect doesn't mean that I agree with them or that I think they are a good person, or admirable. But as a person they deserve a certain level of respect for their worth as an individual and child of God.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think it's a "both" situation. People should always be given at least a basic respect just for being people, BUT, at the same time I don't think people should simply be given a "hand out" of respect unless they have earned it. I mean, if you are complete strangers, of course you should simply respect them for being a person, because they have never had the opportunity to earn it. But for those who you know, those who you interact with, you know who is and isn't deserving...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree with you, I always give respect until I am disrespected myself, then all hell breaks loose!

Answer by older at 12:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i agree with you
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I am civil to everyone, but they have to earn my respect.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 1:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010