Open heart surgery question

My uncle's having it done today. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what makes a heart attack that bad to need that, or how bad is it to have to need open heart surgery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Health

• Open heart surgery is very common and it can be needed in many cases.. What they are repairing when he goes into surgery today is most likely the arteries that carry blood to and from the heart itself. They will take veins from his legs or similar places to bypass the blocked arteries that are starving his heart of much needed oxygen. The arteries are on the outside of the heart. The heart pumps too fast to get the oxygen it needs when it is pumping.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• There are all sorts of problems that your heart can have and surgery is necessary. Just one example - my BIL had an attack and they found a blockage and surgery corrected that. I wish your uncle all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Like elizabr said there are a lot of reasons that can cause you to need heart surgery. I hope everything goes well.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You don't have to have a heart attack to need it. There are so many reasons open heart surgery are needed - to repair defects, to open blackages, to replace arteries, all kinds of things. If his is because of a heart attack, he probably needs a bypass - single, double, triple, and quadruple are all possibilities.
    Anonymous

• My dad had quadruple bypass at age 50. He is now 68 and fine.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• life changes after surgery are most important.being compliant with medication also important.
    maryann327

Answer by maryann327 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2010