• In the Spotlight:

Setting Boundaries.

I am and have always been a sahm.I have 2 married DDs both with little girls now,a grown son and one son 15.I have put in some applications for employment to get out of the house some and extra cash is always nice but I love being at home too,since most of our kids are out,I have my own routine and do what I want and when I want.My dds always treat me like since I'm not working I should babysit,go places with them or myself all the time.I do babysit one of my gds about 3 x a wk.She doesn't want daycare taking care of her dd,only me.My question here is how do I come out and tell them I don't want to babysit that much that I do love my time alone and do enjoy it.I do still care for,cook,clean,take care of everything in our home.so I am still busy with that.They say stuff like u mean u had rather just hang at the house instead of watch my dd ur gd.One dd thinks everytime I do go to town I should go see her and gd everytime.I do love seeing and being with my girls but if they had it there way,I would keep both girls all the time and spend most my time doing what they want.I have told them how I feel about finally having some me time more since raising all 4 which I loved.I want to see them when I want sometimes and. Not babysit every wk.I want to be a granma and ask for them when I'm up for it.I'm not being selfish I just want to do my own thing alott without them thinking I have all this time for them and their kids.Why can't they respect my wishes and leave me alone.Like I said it would be everday they would have somewhere or something for me to do with or for them.Sorry so long;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is tough. You need to say no and mean it. If they get angry about it that is their problem. Do not let them lay a guilt trip on you. You might be unavailable for their calls, but I understand how difficult that can be too in case of emergencies, etc. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2010