Would it hurt your feelings if....

Your mom told you that your sister was her best friend? She didn't say it to hurt me, she was just explaining how much they hang out and do things together on a daily basis. My mom & I used to be closer than she & my sister. But since my sis had a baby and moved in with my parents while her husband is in Afghanistan, they have become inseparable. Honestly it breaks my heart but that's the way the world works I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, I would feel hurt. Not that it is logical, or meant to hurt, but it still would.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It would probably make me a little more jealous than hurt. I would be happy that they've found a great bond. I'm in no way saying your feelings aren't valid. I understand and think it's normal to feel hurt too.

I would just try to reconnect with both of them... not just my mom. Find a way to include myself into their activities, and maybe plan a girls night in, or a girls lunch/dinner with the 3 of you. Do things you and just your mom used to do when you were closer.

If none of that works, try the open card... tell them both how you're feeling. They can't change anything if they're unaware, and they may just open their arms more... also they may not have realized how it makes you feel.

Good luck with your relations with family.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My mom and sister were the best of friends for a long time. They'd talk about all they had done together, and all of the things they had planned. They never meant to hurt my feelings, but it secretly did.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 1:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It is a little sad, although I think you could be honest with your mom. Maybe she told you because she feels that you and her have a strong relationship and she was lacking that with your sister.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You should be happy that they have each other. It would not hurt my feelings if my mom said that, i would know she did not mean it as if she likes her better, just that they have been each other's partner in crime lately. I would think it's wonderful.

Do you & your sister have any sibling rivalry going on? Sounds like you may be jealous of their new friendship....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• aww, i feel for you, I would feel a little hurt but would just try to be strong about it and not let it bother me. I have a younger sister that lives at home with my mom. Sometimes I wish I could live in the same city as them so I could do stuff with them too. My sis and mom though have a off and on relationship, sometimes its good and sometimes it isnt. Do you live in the same city, if you do you should go over and do things with them too.
    Avon_Girlie

Answer by Avon_Girlie at 1:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think it would hurt, but I can see how they would be closer since your sister is staying with her. Maybe you could do some things with just your mom to help keep a good relationship with her. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• skeptic has a great idea, tell your mom & sis that you want to hang out with them more often. You guys can all hang out & be each others best friend.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Honestly? No. If they are closer that the two of you, then they are closer. I don't know why that would be upsetting. She isn't saying she loves you less or anything, but that she feels closer to your sister on a friend level...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Maybe it's just a little bit of envy and not hurt. Your mom may feel that closeness with your sister because she is living there and because she just had a baby. She may also feel that your sister needs a little more support right now because her husband is off in Afghanistan in the middle of that whole mess and is trying to give her extra support in order to keep her mind off of it. Your sister must be worried sick. Maybe you could try to reconnect with both of them in order to restore your friendship with your mother and give your sister the support and love she obviously must need at this point in her life being a single mother with a husband being in a war zone.
    Treefrog64

Answer by Treefrog64 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010