College question

ok so my all time passion is to be a doctor. Right now I have a kid and little to no support but all the drive in the world. Right now I am in school for medical assiting because I need to work because I am a single parent and only have one income (low). So I know it is not something I really want to do but I got to do something to pay the bills.

I know I will like working in any medical field or environment but will not be fully satisfied until I am one. I dont know if I should just stick with being a MA or follow my dream/gut.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 1:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Follow your dream! You don't want to be stuck in a job that you don't really love while you work with doctors and know that is what you really want to be! It will take you longer but the end result will be wonderful.
    I'm in college too and realize my Masters will take longer than those without 3 kids, but I am slowly working towards it.
    Best of luck!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Follow your dream as best you can. You might go to the career counseling office or the admissions office of a few colleges near you and ask their advice. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Follow your dream, but don't go 50k in debt to do it. So go get a job and take the classes on the side. I don't understand how a single parent could run a household on zero income.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I didn't say zero I said low. I know becoming a doc I will have to take out loans and apply for scholarships.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Crap, my entire reply was just deleted.

If you physically (educationally, and physical stamina) and emotionally ( time away from your child, and the ability to see and deal with death without falling apart) handle it, then you should do it.

I assume you don't already have a BS, since you are in school for medical assisting so I would finish your medical assisting and then get a job while getting your BS in biology or related field.

When you go to med school, you can't have a job, and will need a friend, family member or a nanny to watch your child, even if they are in school. You will not be available to parent for 4 years, especially if you don't have a partner.

While in med school, you will have to apply for grants, loans and scholarships. Know that it will cost well over $100k for med school alone.

If it is truly your dream, you will find a way to make it work. No excuses. Good Luck.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If you can take fewer classes at a time. It's tough going to school with a kid... we're doing it. But instead of going two semesters a year we take fewer classes every semester, but we also go to school during the Summer. If you can do that, you should be able to work through the year to help pay for your living expenses.

Also if your income is low enough fill out a FAFSA. You'll probably qualify for Pell Grants which is $5500 a year if you qualify for the max. Look for other scholarships as well. I imagine it's tough being a single mom- so don't wrap a ton of student loans around your neck. You're going to find a lot of reasons to quit school or temporarily put it which IS fine! But those student loans will be there whether or not you get your degree, whether or not you can find a job, whether your child is sick, or you're sick... so your best bet is to go slow and do it with as few student loans as possible.

Good Luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Candi, she will be lucky if she can get her BS with 50k. My husband has scholarships for every year but one of his under grad and his master's degree, and that ONE year was almost 40k.

Medical School is at least $100k.

My biggest piece of advice is to not start it, if you can't finish, as you will be buried in debt with no education to show for it. You have to be committed.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• *had

The one year of school he didn't have a scholarship was also an undergrad year.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Another issue - few people can successfully open a practice until after they've completed a residency. Depending on the field of study, this can take anywhere from an addition 2 to 6 years before you would be working at your full capacity. Residents make almost nothing, are required to work about 80 hour work-weeks and have their schedules enforced (nights and weekends are obligatory).

Absolutely follow your dream, but understand exactly what your dream requires.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Twin_mommy: Yeah, I wasn't sure so I was trying to be conservative.
    At work I sit next to someone who tried to get a medical degree, but didn't have enough money to keep going to school. He now has 60k in student loans, and is earning $10 an hour, has two kids, and his wife doesn't work. There is no bankrupcty option for student loans. Be very very careful.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010