this site amazes me this time of year...

Our yearly income is in the mid 300s with a bonus that is more than many make in a whole year. Yet my children receive 4 gifts each year... santa, sibs (2) , and one from us. Yet I am constantly reading posts about kids geting 10-12, even more gifts. How much do you all make???? Or do you go into debt for a holiday???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• You don't need to spend a lot on 10 or 12 gifts dear, our income is higher than yours, but this time of the year is the only time we splurge.

Answer by older at 1:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• "We have PLEANTY of money but I see no need to spoil our children on gifts just because we have the means"

Well, that's just you. I love spoiling my DD on Christmas. Can we afford it? Yes, we can & we do not go into debt or go broke. My DD is an amazing child & i feel she deserves the best for Christmas. Shoot, she is probably getting more than 10-12 gifts...lol, more like 20+.... And no, she does not behave lke a spoiled brat. She is very grateful for everything she has & appreciates life & all the small things in it. I believe my DD is one of the few children today who knows how to count her blessings & actually appreciates them.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• @OP - Well the way you worded it, asking HOW MUCH DO WE ALL MAKE and IF WE GO INTO DEBT, lent to the assumption that if you did more you'd have to go into debt.
    It was a bit misleading.
    You are more appalled that people spend a lot on Christmas gifts as opposed to being confused as to how people who make less than you are able to afford more than you.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We don't make nearly as much as you but apparently we don't have as many bills as you must have either. We have zero debt which helps, and we love spoiling our kids. Everything at Christmas is paid in cash, so no, we don't go into debt during the holidays either.
    I'm concerned that you make so much and aren't able, from what it sounds, to do more at Christmas time.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My kids get 2 gifts each from us for Yule, 2 more each for Christmas and a gift to share for each as well... When we have more money they get more, but that's the bare min. We start shopping for next year NOW. I've been done shopping for this years holiday season since about August. So it's not really a financial burden at all... Just here and there as we find stuff that they will like, we buy it and put it up... I have no idea what we spend honestly, and we have never gone in to "debt" over the holidays like some others do, if I had to guess I would say we spend around $400 or so a year total - and that includes a third "holiday" that I didn't list above. This year our total income was around $13K because we've both been unemployed. But it really hasn't changed what we spent because of how we do it. It is however, changing other things, most of the celebration this year isn't going to happen cause life simply won't let it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I buy mine each 1 big gift and several small gifts from dollar general and stockings, so that they can have bragging rights at school when the kids from higher income families brag about how many they got. I'm concerned about their self-esteem around their classmates, since kids can be cruel. I don't need my kids feeling bad because we don't have the income other families have.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Orionsgirl... both cars are paid in full, credit card paid off each month, the only debt we are carrying is our home. We have PLEANTY of money but I see no need to spoil our children on gifts just because we have the means. 

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My kids get a few things for Christmas, and we don't go into debt for it. People might be spending less money buy purchasing items at dollar stores instead of big ticket items.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If we could afford it, I would buy more for my kids. As it is, they get anywhere from 4-10 things each - but they are inexpensive items, and I do not go into debt, I pay cash for ALL our Christmas shopping every year. If I don't hafve the money, I don't buy it - that's why some years they get less or cheaper items. I would buy them more expensive things if I could afford it, without going into debt. To each their own. Just like it's not my business what you make or how many gifts you get your kids, it's not your place to worry about how much we make or how many gifts our kids get.
    Anonymous

• Didnt you post about this about a month ago? Sounds awefully familiar....anyhow, I feel sorry for your kids. They are only young once, stop being so scroogy.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010