What should I tell my mil ? Very awkward money conversation.....

My son and I visited my mil and my son got on the phone with his father to tell him about a great deal on a tv that we saw in a store. My mil said to my son , You can not afford one right now. I was annoyed but did not say anything. My son went to borrow $300 for his gambling relapse but he tells my mil we need to pay bills. SO what comback can I say to her since we did not buy the tv that was 899 not 399. I feel like telling her that we could afford the tv but if you cut back on lotto and spend $30 instead of $300 it would be easier to afford it. Wht do you think I should say to her??? WIthout offending of course...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I think that keeping your mouth shut was the right thing to do. I can see where if your DH is asking her for $300 at a time, she wouldn't think you would be able to afford the TV. And while it's kind of rude for her to comment about your finances, your husband brought this on by involving her in your finances by asking her for money.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Nothing, let it go

Answer by admckenzie at 1:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Rude yes, but that is how she gets around it by answering my son's conversation and dialouge not mine. SHe gets the free pass for helping us, but that is my husband's fault and not mine. But i get stuck in such awkward situations and it has nothing to do with working. I just really despise this so much.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Is it me, or does the "question" not make sense?

You and your son went to MIL's home to borrow $300 for what your son told her were bills, and when she said you can't afford it (assuming you can't if you are borrowing money for bills) and the rest doesn't make sense.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No you are reading it incorrectly. Thanks admackenzie and riotgrrl.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2010