NOAH's ARC PARK...Church vs. State?

I would love to get your opinions on a Kentucky theme park that is under fire because it qualifies for up to $40 million dollars in tax breaks.

Although the focus for this park is to secure more jobs for the state of Kentucky, many criticize the fact that since it is a "religious like" theme park, it is not fair that it is tax-exempt?

What are your thoughts!

Ida CEO/Founder of Parents Reinvented www.parents reinvented.com- Join the Reinvention

MomReinvented

Asked by MomReinvented at 1:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Churches are tax exempt so why wouldn't this be too? I think it sounds like a really cool idea for a theme park - I love the Noah story.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Lol, at create jobs. Minimum wage jobs that can't support a family. Woohoo! what a great deal for Kentucky.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't think other amusement parks are tax exempt, but I may be mistaken. An amusement park is FOR PROFIT, so they shouldn't be qualified as a non-profit organization if that's how it's justified. Do you know how they are justifying the tax exemption status? Anyway, it could be they're offering the same incentives they would offer any business to increase tourism in the area, or it could be wrong to provide tax incentives if they are giving it to them as they would to a non-profit. I'd have to look into it more to decide what I think for sure.

On a personal level, I wouldn't want tax dollars in my state funding any one religion because of the whole separation of church and state thing, but a lot of people seem to find some gray areas in these issues all the time.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I found one comment quite interesting about this debate:

"A private company can build a theme park about the Bible. But the government shouldn't be using its money to advance religion. That's what's unconstitutional about this," said Erwin Chemerinsky, a constitutional scholar at the University of California, Irvine School of Law. "It's wrong to force people to pay tax dollars to support religions they don't belong to."

Interesting...
    MomReinvented

Comment by MomReinvented (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I hope they have good flood insurance!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 2:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• yes churches are tax-exempt
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My thoughts are that it's fine....I wish people would realize that the constitution basically says there will be no state religion that everyone must join....it doesn't mean that our culture is one of atheism, although that can be and is part of our culture.....How is this park forcing someone to be part of any religion? Whose rights are being violated here? Really?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• "A private company can build a theme park about the Bible. But the government shouldn't be using its money to advance religion. That's what's unconstitutional about this," said Erwin Chemerinsky, a constitutional scholar at the University of California, Irvine School of Law. "It's wrong to force people to pay tax dollars to support religions they don't belong to."

^^^THIS^^^ I totally agree.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010