Bump if you recycle or go green.

What do you do to help the environment?

HotMama330

Asked by HotMama330 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We do recycle - cans and paper. Plastic is not available in our area so I would actually be driving to the next state over to recycle it. We have also started buying products that are made to refill the bottles that we already have, so less trash.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have been recycling since 1998 in our town. What amazes me is my relatives in Long Island do not ever recycle....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i recycle EVERYTHING! I have a garden, i compost, i use all the special light bulbs, no plastic bags in my house either. We only shop with reusable bags, we reuse water for our toilet bowls (not sure how it works, but it's awesome) we have a solar powered water heater...i could go on. People call us hippies, but we're just earth friendly....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• recycle & have been going green where possible
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We switched to energy efficient bulbs & instead of putting 3 bulbs in ea. ceiling fan or 4 in the bathroom vanity we just put 1 60 watt bulb in each fixture still getting plenty of brightness. We changed out the faucet aerators on the kitchen & bathroom sink fixtures. to save more water My fiance & I take showers together & we make the kids share the bath water and before anyone gets hostile one child bathes at a time & after they get out then the other gets in. When we go to bed we unplug anything that will not be used in our sleep & doesn't NEED to be plugged in like the computer, tv's, stereo, microwave, washer & dryer, christmas lights etc.. Doing just these things has saved us $50+ a month on our combined electric & water bill which used to be around $160 a month but even in the first month of the changes our bill dropped to $106 and since its cold now we blocked the front & go out the back & covered windows with plastic.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We also try to recycle as much as possible & use empty containers etc.. for fun easy crafts! When we get packages we break down the boxes & save them for future use!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We recycle as much as we can, and I am always sure to turn off all the lights that we are not using. Anything not in use at all is also unplugged and we use the energy-efficient light bulbs. I could really tell the difference in my electic bill too!
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I quit buying bottled water and switched to a pitcher w/ filter.
    Started recycling paper, cardboard, plastic and metal at home and at work.
    Make an effort to "zero waste" my lunch.
    Bought reuseable bags for stores and keep them in my car.
    Plan my errands for as few trips as possible to reduce driving.
    All the household lights are CFLs. I've looked at LED replacements, but the light output isn't enough to make me switch yet.
    I'm also looking at a composter or worm composter for the yard for food waste.
    I'd like to swap out the toilets for dual-flush and replace the water heater with a tankless heater, but it's not my house, so I may be in for a fight.

I've reduced the household trash (family of 4) by 50% and I fill up my car about half as often.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Gemini I would be careful with those reusable grocery bags, I recently saw an article about lead being found in them. Also for the bulbs, the 60watt energy efficient bulbs are the equivilent of a regular 100watt bulb, as I said I just use 1 in each fixture even if its a 3 or 4 light fixture & that 1 bulb brightens up the whole room.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I've been recycling since I was a young child. Paper, cardboard, metals, glass, plastics. Reusable bags at the stores, CF lightbulbs, Front loading washing machine (use much less water and spin out more water). Timer on our water heater, low flow shower heads, lower capacity toilets, a clothes line, compost all vegetable matter.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2010